Thread: Azure Kingfisher and an editing challenge

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Azure Kingfisher and an editing challenge

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,
    Well, my calf muscle has healed well, and so today with bird photography withdrawals (weeks since I've pressed the shutter button) I went to a new location. Just walking around a corner and saw this beautiful Azure Kingfisher resting among a myriad of branches quite low to the ground. I approached as slow and low as I could but was not able to get a shot with its beak in front of the branch. In any case it flew away before I was able to try for another vantage point.
    In editing this photo I removed a twig going across its body, as well as other distracting twigs surrounding the Kingfisher. The final crop helped a little in this regard.
    I did have a go at cloning the beak to put it in front of the branch, but I'm not happy with the result. If anyone wants to have a go...feel free
    The bird's colours have not been enhanced...they're just that nice. Cheers.

7dii. 100-400@400mm, 1/200th sec, f6.3, iso400 AV mode, HH.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous little KF. The oof branch is unfortunate to be sure, but removing it would not be impossible.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul,
    Glad to hear you are on the mend.
    I am afraid that this is an "insta-delete" for me. I would not even try to clone out the branch.
    Get out there and try again
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat colors on this bird. Would have to agree with Gail tough.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Bill, Gail and & John
    Bill: yes, not impossible...I've tried cloning and it can work...just didn't like my first two efforts.
    Gail: I agree with insta-delete...but may keep it for a Photoshop challenge to myself. I have other Azures from a few years ago...this was the first one seen since then. Definitely going back to this location, only 20 mins from home. Cheers.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul, I couldn't resist the challenge. Just a quick try, not perfect. But were it mine I would certainly keep it --- and go back for more.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Holy molly Bill! You are a master cloner. I thought I was pretty good but there is no way I could do this.
    Gail

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great bird the Azure, and you got it Paul. Perhaps Bill will give us the lessons that seem to make the cloning simple.Did you just use the cloning tool in Photoshop Bill? Did you get this bird in Brisbane or up north Paul?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad to hear you're on the mend! This is a striking bird, so I understand the desire to save the frame. That said, the branch would make this an instant delete for me, even if it could be salvaged later. Too
    much cloning is disingenuous. Hopefully you'll go back an get him unobstructed instead!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill...awesome! and I thought my first couple of tries were good. Definitely a keeper now. I don't think anyone would "insta-delete" if they saw this now. You've also improved it by removing the main branch...I'd also probably remove the lower diagonal branch above the bird's head too. I reckon you should do a video like Artie does with his "wing repair" video. (so...care to explain your process?)
    Ian: taken in Brisbane at Mungarra reserve, Petrie (my first time there and only 25 mins from home!).
    Last edited by Paul Burdett; 01-08-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul and Ian, I just used the cloning tool, working in slowly from the edges. But cloning is no substitute for the real thing; I'd love to get a shot of this beautiful bird someday.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill...thank you for taking the time to edit the photo and show your cloning skills. i do have some photos from a few years ago, but not as sharp as I'd like. Hopefully I'll get few more this year. Cheers.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Impressive PS work Bill! In the original there are some cloning marks behind the bird to watch out for. Definitely worth trying to get out and photograph this bird again. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default My Azure edit

Inspired by Bill's great edit of my Azure Kingfisher, I thought I'd give it one m ore go. I removed some branches as well. I found that the beak gave me the most problem in terms of colour mainly, and although Bill's is much better edit I found the process beneficial in terms of my PS skill development.
    Definitely going to get more shots of this bird over the coming weeks.

P.S. Is there a way to attach an image file to a Private message other than a url link, or is this not appropriate in the forum rules?