Thread: Seal pup in the dunes

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Seal pup in the dunes

Name:  pup-in-dunes-BPN.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  584.1 KB

A young seal pup that was nice and chilled out in amongst the sand dunes in Norfolk. Lying nice and still got them really relaxed around you, and they were more than happy to approach you to a degree. It was just a case of choosing one that has been weaned, so you wouldn't risk separation from a parent.

Full frame, just 2 grass stalks removed. I had others with the head higher, but I like the 'dreamy' look to the sand

Canon 1dx
    500mm f4
    ISO 1600
    1/800th f7.1

Mike

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the sandy base too Mike, exposure and details spot on a really appealing image.

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike ... gonna love the overall color and the cuteness factor here !!!Super low POV and the FG mush is generally nice , but has partially covered the subject . So in this case might have been better to shoot a sliver higher .
    Techs looking good , as does the DOF . It so nice to see the people in those glassy eyes ....how many photogs stayed around the pup ?

Watch your blacks and your sharpening !!!!

Nice one .... rarely get that sweet light on Helgoland and the color of the sand .... oh i love that . Will come over by the end of the year !!!!!!

TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Would echo Andrea's comments here Mike.

If it was me, I would have lost the mid grey and blended in the sandy colour for uniformity around the pup. I too feel the blacks are a bit pushed so you get a bit of a 'crunchy' look around the nose and the nostril is just black with some clipping, but the light may not have been too kind???? If you used Levels Mike I would certainly back it off, or even turn it off in the Layered file to see what it's added.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have looked again at the image and whilst I see the blacks are perhaps a little dense I still like the blurred foreground and the interplay of the grey and the sand so I disagree and think a higher position would not have been better. The mixture of the colours I think add rather than detract.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I disagree and think a higher position would not have been better.
    Hi Jon, it's just a sliver and would still retain a lot of the original qualities, but I do agree with Andreas, the blacks may not then have been so harsh offering more/greater detail????

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super cute subject with at lovely beady eye and great low POV Mike. Very pleasing image.

9. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jon, it's just a sliver and would still retain a lot of the original qualities, but I do agree with Andreas, the blacks may not then have been so harsh offering more/greater detail????
    I see what you mean, you have a valid point but I personally like the grey and the sand rather than a monotonous appearance. Your edited version looks good especially the blacks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon and Steve .... by higher i meant the " sliver" that Steve is referring to !!! Would not change the general appearance of a low angle shot .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting conversation, I'll take on board the points regarding shooting height, even if I am happy with the result here.

However, I think we have to consider whether discussions on the lack of detail within the inside of nostrils is taking critique into 'looking for criticism' territory. There is no detail in that area of the original file - all opening up the exposure, by whichever way you deem necessary, does is introduce a speckled noisy area.

I think we need to get back on track here, looking at light, compositions, angles, rather than concentrate to the minute degree on technical criticisms. Yes, the techs are very important, and I always like to learn more, but its becoming a little weary to keep reading (not just on my threads) about the technical nuances of a shot, where no specific help is offered, instead of the overall aesthetics of a shot.

I've had a lot of help on BPN over the years, and I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I can't help but feel we're missing out on so much at present by treating each wildlife shot as a technical exercise.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I see what you mean, you have a valid point but I personally like the grey and the sand rather than a monotonous appearance. Your edited version looks good especially the blacks.
    Hi Jon, is there an edited version somewhere that I'm not aware of? There isn't anything on the thread

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it. With the foreground in heaven kind of look. The pose is nice. Really like the colors throughout the image as well. The low angle is spot on.

15. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post