Thread: Canon 1DX MK3

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Canon 1DX MK3

Attached Images Attached Images

For those who might be interested in this camera, hopefully these links may give you a glimpse to what it’s like and some new features. There are also more VTs out there if you want to look.

I guess it will pitch in at around $6500, or £6,995, but who knows, as it all mind games with Nikon about to launch too. However, when they launch this body I hope they add a card reader & card, as this could be an issue????

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8LI-8qGTQIg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeGTS0LbKoA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hezrfJZ7o2A
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 01-16-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just looked and good old Sandisk do a 2 Gen card reader, but a 64 CFexpress card could cost over £200 and you need two!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thankfully it will come with, at least initially, a 64 CFExpress card and a card reader. The last 1D series DSLR camera?....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are right Dan, it does, pre-orders carry a 'Bundle package' like the MKII, but I think, only one card, not two for the two slots. I hope it is part of the package and not where you have to apply for it and wait several weeks before receiving it. Noise improvements between 6400-12,800, would like to see those files, but what intrigues me is the Joy stick moving of the AF points and customising that. Battery life appears better and no need to worry about buffering and some other interesting features. At the end of the day you need to see it in real life and play with it before buying something at these prices based on reviews, however...

The last 1D series DSLR camera?....
    Had a debate about that yesterday Dan, but how far will Mirrorless advance in four years time...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

My eyes are blurry from watching all the videos and reading all the reviews. Stayed up until 1:00AM I am a bit disappointed with the 20.1 MP resolution and the cost is a real jaw dropper.But...
    everything else looks pretty amazing. I love the new AF "trackpad" button, the illuminated buttons and the basically infinite buffering capabilities. The silent shutter option is great for "jittery "birds.
    The tracking AF looks amazing. I have always used single point or 4 point expansion for BIF but this looks like I could put the camera in auto AF point selection and let the camera do the work.
    I will now wait patiently for the non -Canon Explorers of Light and ambassadors to submit their reviews.
    A big decision is looming- buy the 1 DX 3 to replace my very old 1 DX or buy a 1 DX2 for a much better price.
    Does anyone need a kidney that I can sell them?
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am a bit disappointed with the 20.1 MP resolution and the cost is a real jaw dropper.But...
    IMHO Gail, having a huge amount of mega pixels isn't always better, unless you wish to crop, but that's just my take.

The tracking AF looks amazing.
    Again Gail, I think this is something you have to try and then 'customise' over a period of timeto suit your movements and certainly, in the early days, you could find you easily knock the FP way by error if you have all xxx available points to hand, having less ie 61 maybe less prone? I'm only assuming, as I too have not seen the new body.

Agree, sign up and PX your current model before prices drop further, or will the MKII suit you just as well and save the pennies... and more importantly, your kidney. Try and get onto a Canon training/open day and test one against the other and see what works for you. BTW the MK3 body is fractionally lighter.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was hoping for 24 MP- just that little bit extra can mean a lot at times.
    With regards the accidentally knocking the focus point with the new AF button "trackpad", you can customize the sensitivity and decrease it to -2 in the menu somewhere. Saw that in one of the videos- but yes, that is an issue that one of the reviewers mentioned.
    I would love to get onto a Canon training day but I live 5 hours away from Halifax (where they might have an open day at Henry's in the late spring). I want to make a decision by April for an upcoming trip to Florida and then Barrow, Alaska.
    Decisions, decisions...My gut is to go for the 1DX3 if reviews stay positive . I think I will really notice a difference coming from the 1 DX 1 to the 1 DX3. It will likely be my last pro DSLR and I expect it to last 6-7 years. The shutter is rated to 500,000 actuations and my 7 year old 1 DX has 325,000 clicks so I should be good to go!
    Gail
    Last edited by gail bisson; 01-07-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

With regards the accidentally knocking the focus point with the new AF button "trackpad", you can customize the sensitivity and decrease it to -2 in the menu somewhere.
    Indeed that is what I said, but from what I have seen I still think there could be the odd accident.

I still feel if somehow you could get to even a Pro dealership to test the two bodies, then it's money well spent Gail and you never know... I would think it's too close a call to make on a review, but if you get it, please write a review ASAP.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

All depends on the new AF capabilities, Canon have always made similar of claims of revolutionary this and that with every 1D camera but at the end of the day they were all incremental improvements and the current 1DXII falls short of the entry level Nikon D500 when it comes to BIF If they have really improved the AF this time, they might finally have a winner. Time will tell. I might borrow one and test it out
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with you 100%! I have placed my pre-order but can always cancel once the real life reviews come in. Let me know if you are able to test it. No chance of getting my hands on one here in Cape Breton. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    All depends on the new AF capabilities, Canon have always made similar of claims of revolutionary this and that with every 1D camera but at the end of the day they were all incremental improvements and the current 1DXII falls short of the entry level Nikon D500 when it comes to BIF If they have really improved the AF this time, they might finally have a winner. Time will tell. I might borrow one and test it out

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well I have just had a play with the new 1DX MK3 and I personally like it!

I'm not going to review it, but also, as there is no software currently out to access the Raws, it stops there. However, what I will say is this, notice any difference in weight, NO. Yes, I feel there are some good step changes, but we all look at our gear in may different ways and what suits one, may no suit another. Please don't buy it on spec, you need to see it and try it before committing, as you may find that the MK2 is better suited and you don't require all the 'bells & Whistles' and I for one will use the video part very infrequently.

Unless you are a person like Arash who soaks up all the technical aspects of the camera and what it can deliver then seriously if you purchase it then I would strongly advise you take a Canon day and get to know your camera, what it can do, how things work and then Customise it to you and your 'style' of shooting, in that way you will get the best from it. As the Canon guy said to me first off, he read the manual several times, but only when out in the field did it come into it's own.

Cases well that is limited now to four, with 'auto point switching' buried elsewhere, but this now has limited options. Clarity slider, oh a bear trap IMHO, that will be set to zero/disabled for me, but some folk I think will get drawn into that!!! AF-ON button, that can be found in to places for Landscape or Portrait shooting, certain I will have the sensitivity turned down to zero, but what I would suggest is that the grip when not shooting in Portarait, that the button is set to disabled and have that in My Settings when you wish to enable it, because you could knock it and move the FP to a different position my mistake. Finally, if you found that when taking a card out it defaulted to the other, (frustrating I found with the MK2) you can customise that too, albeit a very small feature, but a handy one for me, but not one that may part you from $6500.

Although I will see it again next Friday, I doubt I will have as much one to one as I did this morning.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting discussion..
    I was a Nikon guy when Nikon was not cool and now apparently
    with the new Sony mirrorless stuff, it is not cool again...
    However, if I was new to photography and wanted the best wildlife/bird setup,
    for $5000, a lot less than just this camera, I would just get the D500 and the 500pf lens....
    Not sure what the rational is for sticking with Canon at this point....
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

For those who do purchase this camera, download the manual from Canon as a PDF. The manual that comes with it is pointless and just a waste of paper, not that it takes long to configure the camera.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Well I have just had a play with the new 1DX MK3 and I personally like it!

I'm not going to review it, but also, as there is no software currently out to access the Raws, it stops there. However, what I will say is this, notice any difference in weight, NO. Yes, I feel there are some good step changes, but we all look at our gear in may different ways and what suits one, may no suit another. Please don't buy it on spec, you need to see it and try it before committing, as you may find that the MK2 is better suited and you don't require all the 'bells & Whistles' and I for one will use the video part very infrequently.

Unless you are a person like Arash who soaks up all the technical aspects of the camera and what it can deliver then seriously if you purchase it then I would strongly advise you take a Canon day and get to know your camera, what it can do, how things work and then Customise it to you and your 'style' of shooting, in that way you will get the best from it. As the Canon guy said to me first off, he read the manual several times, but only when out in the field did it come into it's own.

Cases well that is limited now to four, with 'auto point switching' buried elsewhere, but this now has limited options. Clarity slider, oh a bear trap IMHO, that will be set to zero/disabled for me, but some folk I think will get drawn into that!!! AF-ON button, that can be found in to places for Landscape or Portrait shooting, certain I will have the sensitivity turned down to zero, but what I would suggest is that the grip when not shooting in Portarait, that the button is set to disabled and have that in My Settings when you wish to enable it, because you could knock it and move the FP to a different position my mistake. Finally, if you found that when taking a card out it defaulted to the other, (frustrating I found with the MK2) you can customise that too, albeit a very small feature, but a handy one for me, but not one that may part you from $6500.

Although I will see it again next Friday, I doubt I will have as much one to one as I did this morning.
    hey Steve usually there is a DVD in the box that has Canon DPP software (you can also download it) that will let you open and play with RAWs

how do you like the AF? is it much better than your 1DX II ?

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    Interesting discussion..
    I was a Nikon guy when Nikon was not cool and now apparently
    with the new Sony mirrorless stuff, it is not cool again...
    However, if I was new to photography and wanted the best wildlife/bird setup,
    for $5000, a lot less than just this camera, I would just get the D500 and the 500pf lens....
    Not sure what the rational is for sticking with Canon at this point....

Hi Dan, the D500 is good but with all due respect its files are jack sh** in low light compared to a 1DX camera...mega noisy and soft in eyes of someone like me.... The Nikon D500 is great for its price but it does not in any way give the 1DX series a run for its money. It is perfectly justified for Canon users to buy a 1DX III I would do the same if I had Canon.

Even in Nikon land the D500 doesn't hold a candle to the D5. If Nikon didn't have the D5 I wouldn't be shooting with it. Don't underestimate Canon they are coming out with some great stuff lately. Nikon's D6 was a major disappointing and their mirrorless Z cameras are a pile of horse sh** for BIF IMO :D They are far far behind and I am not sure if they can catch up any time soon. Canon just announced a new pro mirror-less body. Things are changing fast and once the dust settles it's not clear which brand will come up on top. Nikon need a new light 600 as well which they don't have. They still have the best AF systems overall IMO but perhaps the 1DX III has caught up...

best

Visit my blog

16. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arash, think they must be cutting costs didn’t see anything and all my previous stuff from the Mk2’s were still shrink wrapped never needed it, but what can you expect for £6.5k lol, although with the PX of the two MK2’s it was almost zeroed ��.

It seems more responsive and they have configured the AF expansion points slightly differently ie the ‘cross’ is now a point bigger (centre point, space, square) if that makes sense. With the tweak of the Cases I wonder if they have refined that too, as they did between the MK 1 & 2. I do like the Joystick, as moving the FP is lighteningly fast, even set to minus sensitivity, plus bolted to Back button focus I feel it works well. The blisteringly mega frame is crazy, hence why I added a 128 into the first slot with a 64 in the second.

I will be taking it to Whistler next week with me and try the terrain park, then in a months time when I’m back it will go to Canon for tweaking.

I don’t think it’s for everyone, but hope you manage to get to try one out just to see. In the meantime I hope you guys are working hard to deliver a working card reader.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

glad to hear you’re liking it. Will try one sooner or later

Me card reader ???

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

glad to hear you’re liking it. Will try one sooner or later
    Two hours in january with canon and four days playing isn't much, and there isn't a huge jump from 2 to 3, however I do hope you get your hands on one just for interest sakes.

Me card reader ???
    You lost me here Arash, but thought you were part of the mighty SanDisk empire?????

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That was years ago Steve. I never worked on consumer products. Sandisk was bought by western digital shortly after I left and has been going down the drain since.

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes I saw things were under the WD umbrella.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is a link to a field test by a skilled non-EOL, non-Canon spokesman actual shooter. With ten 1DX III images:

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2020/...p-camera-body/

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

question for those who have the camera: client is asking if anyone has experienced lock ups during burst? If yes did you send to CPS and did they fix it?

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arash, nothing to date, but early days still for me as skiing took precedence .. although it will be going back to CPS in a couple of weeks with lenses, will let you know if anything develops. What props the question?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arash, nothing to date, but early days still for me as skiing took precedence .. although it will be going back to CPS in a couple of weeks with lenses, will let you know if anything develops. What props the question?
    as mentioned above one of my clients is asking. he has a 1dx III with the mentioned issue

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK, will take a look, but like others, I rarely get notifications these days, so it’s hard to keep up with replies. See Jon A’s post in Mods.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arash,
    I have experienced a new issue as well.
    While out taking "bird in flight "shots, the camera suddenly stopped displaying the AF point.It would still fire but no autofocus point visible. I pressed on the AF point selection button and nothing happened . I was unable to bring up any AF selections. I had to turn the camera off and then on again. Once turned back on, the AF points were visible again. About 10 minutes later, I was in AI Servo high speed and the camera just froze mid-burst. I depressed the shutter button and nothing happened for 2 to 3 seconds and then the camera worked again. This happened 4 times that afternoon.

If you look on DPReview there is an article and video about many 1 DX3's having this issue.
    https://www.dpreview.com/news/307183...-in-burst-mode
    This is exactly what happened to me. I had the camera out yesterday afternoon and no problem.
    It looks like the "camera" is a bit buggy". I sent an incident report to Canon Canada on Friday and will let you know what they say,

Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail, was this at max FPS? Have you tried reducing the amount, did the same issue appear again? Have you reported this to CPS? The more feedback the better, no doubt a Firmware will be announced in the coming months.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gail this matches his description. I will let him know.

looks like a power issue to me. It seems many if not all cameras have it

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail, was this at max FPS? Have you tried reducing the amount, did the same issue appear again? Have you reported this to CPS? The more feedback the better, no doubt a Firmware will be announced in the coming months.
    Yes, I have reported this to CPS. They emailed this am looking for the images that I took when the freeze-up happened? Not sure why. I am not even sure which images they were...Will have to go through them all and see where the freeze up occured.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    Yes, I have reported this to CPS. They emailed this am looking for the images that I took when the freeze-up happened? Not sure why. I am not even sure which images they were...Will have to go through them all and see where the freeze up occured.
    your camera has got COVID-19 quarantine immediately!

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

For those of you who may have missed the notification, there has been a Firmware update for the EOS-1DX MKIII.

Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following enhancement and fixes:

1. The option to capture full HD movies and 4K UHD movies in 23.98p frame rate has been added.
    2. The communication speed has been improved when connected via wired LAN.
    3. The "Browser Remote" function has been added.
    4. The function to transfer only protected images has been added.
    5. Corrects the phenomenon in which, when the electronic level is set to "Show" in the viewfinder display, in rare cases, the camera may freeze when operating the AF-ON button or shutter button.
    6. Corrects the phenomenon in which the Custom Shooting Mode settings may change when the shooting mode is switched.

Firmware Version 1.1.0 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.0.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.1.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

When updating the firmware of the camera, please review the instructions thoroughly before you download the firmware.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.