Thread: European Bison in Kransvlaak

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default European Bison in Kransvlaak

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ..... keep going through older folders and adding different species into the current mix.

Image of this female European Bison was taken in feb 2017 in the netherlands in that special reserve where this species can roam freely . hope you ike it . I saw the herd from a distance and was hoping they might come into my direction , i became rewarded for my patience as the herd came straight at me .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 200 - 400 IS L at 490 mm
    HH

F 8 : Iso 10000 ; 1/2500 sec ; man exp and auto iso

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2020 ; slightly cropped

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image Andreas and very good PP for the high ISO. Head on works and I like the colour difference between subject and environment. Personally I might have gone a tad warmer on the coat, purely on an 'artistic' POV and not sharpened the bush on the lower LHS. 1/2500 a bit hefty, I think you could have gone lower, but HH the 200-400 is no light bit of kit!!! If you had a bit more all round that might have been better.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve .... i am fine with the color in the coat , but for sure you can go a bit warmer and will not harm the image . Just a different interpretation !!!
    The shrub in the FG already received a lower amount of sharpening , but i know what you mean and could be easily lowered .
    The high SS is used for my safety .... as you said , not lightweight the lens , this cow was on the move and stopped at certain point so i kept that high SS . I was standing with no support ....

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fine on all counts, I just then would not add any sharpening to the shrub, as even a small amount may make it look over sharp due to the nature of sharpening.

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

try to look better next time ....with the shrub

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Solid portrait here. Nice framing. Like the head on pose and the setting. Looks quite nice. Detail looks good for the high ISO.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- This is one Exquisite image, I loved the soft colours of the Bison and the disparity in colours of environment and the subject. So well processed at this iso , loved the details. I wish my processing skills reach such heights as yours and Steve but for that first I have to work much harder on my field work.

I simply loved this frame and had it been mine , I might have gone for a bit more space at the foot of the frame.

Superb frame, TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful image Andreas the texture of the coat is very well rendered but it does leave me wondering if they are indeed pretty much jet black?? The shrubs are leaving me a little confused have you converted them to monotone or desaturated them ...what's going on with the yellow streaky bits under the copyright??
    I really must get over to Holland to photograph these animals.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really must get over to Holland to photograph these animals.
    We could do a BPN outing Jon.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the details and the pose in the Bison, superb processing as ever. The shot does look a little unusual with all the white foliage though.

Another place I too keep thinking I need to go to, looks an easy journey from Amsterdam?

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much folks for your kind comments , much appreciated !!

Location - just a jump from Amsterdam . If the Bisons do not cooperate , could be !!! Just across the road , well almost , habituated foxes . Both locations reachable after long walks .....

For those of you who are asking about color , shot was taken under foggy conditions , really flat light ... left the shrub and surroundings alone in terms of saturation . The yellow/green stuff in LRC is just moss . The whole scenery looked a bit monochrome .... due to the lighting , except of subject and moss.

Haseeb ... i have other frames shot slightly wider , but for this one i went in tighter .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Location - just a jump from Amsterdam . If the Bisons do not cooperate , could be !!! Just across the road , well almost , habituated foxes . Both locations reachable after long walks .....
    Get things sorted Andreas, but it may take time for us to clear the Border after Jan!!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve .... you will need Visa and quarantine ..... once the gorgeous Brexit is done . Oops no political comments here .... sorry folks !!!

There is only a small time window for us .... as reserve closes for the public by 1st of march , due to being a breeding area for birds . Opens , i think , by 1st of september !!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

There is only a small time window for us .... as reserve closes for the public by 1st of march , due to being a breeding area for birds . Opens , i think , by 1st of september !!
    Mid Feb to Mid March I'm in Canada for some R&R, September would be tough as I'm working through Europe , when did you go, what's it like in October? Suggest we pop this over to PM/Email.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image, Andreas. It all works, the central placement of the subject within the frame, dramatic look of surroundings/habitat as well as a certain 3D feel

Good choice of techs Boetie as well. Well processed too. Love it

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea