Thread: A Beauty of a Beast

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Beauty of a Beast

Attached Images Attached Images

Cannot quite explain how - and why - I fell in love with this lioness a couple of years ago. Maybe it is because I have known her for some time and it's so easy to recognise her no matter what the circumstances are. There's something about this girl that makes any photographer's eye turn towards her. She has a kind of power and ambition to live, she is not mean but there's a craving to confront death and a will to challenge any other beast in those yellow (or almost green) eyes. She is also an awesome mother to her cubs, and I promise to show you more images of her soon.

For now here's a simple image of her resting during the heat of the day. Almost full frame and I am afraid there's no more space at the bottom, circumstances did not allow me to compose better. Processed in LR and PSCC, cropped from the RHS a little.

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 3200
    F7.1
    1/1600s

Thank you so much for your kind comments on my previous images, I truly appreciate it. Critique very welcome, be it of a technical nature or otherwise

Hope you all have an awesome 2020, and I wish you good health and happiness as well as lots of great photographic opportunities

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

She is a real beauty Gabriela, love the pose and BG with great details. Techs solid as ever. Whats not to like here!! Love it. Have a great 2020.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- I liked the pov and the super fine details in there. Agree with your self critique reg the space the foot but sometimes circumstances do not allow that to happen and it still works for me as presented. The lioness is nicely popping against those greens , what time of the year this be ? short rains ? The environment looks pretty clean as the rains might have taken away all the atmospheric haze and dust.

Nice image indeed. Wish you a very happy 2020 .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this lioness. The title to this one is great, fits it very well. Detail looks quite nice and i like the framing. Nice you were at eye level. The background is another bonus here nice and even. Neat to see the swollen tick as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela .... your love to this species is endless and for every image you are able to find such nice wording and descriptions . Sometimes i think .... you do not even need a photograph for that .

I like the relaxed way you have portrayed her , the nice saturated greenery adds to the image and is giving a nice contrast to the subject . Xou nice fine detail , sharpness where it counts and the right DOF . Personally i do not mind about the tightness at the foot as the feet are partially hidden in the grass . The subject stands out nicely !!!!
    You have had at least a bit of rain .... looking at the green grass .
    From the tonal POV i think i.e. the gums are looking a bit thin and i would add a bit more tone to them .... just me .

Nice one ... keep them coming .

TFS your boetie

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Gabriela, I would run a tad of NR on the BKG. Yes needs more below and not sure what you did with the gums??? WB starter needs a tad to the right, and a fraction to the left on the tint, to give you a good working platform. You have more in there, I need to just check your 'homework' again. No sharpening applied, all from the OP.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Everyone! Thank you so much for your feedback, really appreciate it!

Andreas and Steve, I was a bit in a hurry when I processed this image - I see precisely what you mean and will have another look as soon as I get a chance. I like your RP, very much Steve

And yes, love the species tremendously! Was lucky to see this lioness again this morning, this time on a kill and in the company of another lioness. Five cubs were present. Will be away for about a week or so but when back I shall take a look to see what I can process and share

Hope you all have an awesome week ahead,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb badar View Post
    Hi Gabriela -- I liked the pov and the super fine details in there. Agree with your self critique reg the space the foot but sometimes circumstances do not allow that to happen and it still works for me as presented. The lioness is nicely popping against those greens , what time of the year this be ? short rains ? The environment looks pretty clean as the rains might have taken away all the atmospheric haze and dust.

Nice image indeed. Wish you a very happy 2020 .

TFS !
    It is summer Haseeb, image taken after some good rain. Environment very green and lush
    Gabriela Plesea