Thread: Mahaman @ Bandhavgarh

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mahaman @ Bandhavgarh

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Everyone,
    It was 3rd week of Dec 2019 and on one of the morning we woke up to dense fog. Visibility was barely meters away and quiet cold at around 5 to 6 degrees. We were lucky to see Mahaman on the game drive. He walked to and fro a few times to avoid vehicles and finally crossed and vanished. It was a great experience to witness the tiger in this setting.
    1DX II
    100-400 II @ 148mm
    1/1600
    f/5.6
    ISO 6400

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Happy New Year, dear Sanjeev

Very special image and I enjoyed reading your introduction, always nice to get a 'feel' of the atmosphere from the author's perspective.

Love the setting here/ environment, the presence of fog adds to the image. POV is great and superb expression from the Tiger. That raised paw shows he is on the move - nice timing, so glad you managed to capture this 'moment in time', techs look good too.

I have no experience with photographing Tigers so looking forward to hear from Steve, Andreas and Haseeb regarding colours - they do appear natural to me, and lighting seems consistent with time of the day.

Overall a beautiful capture which shows the elusive nature of the species - very well captured A pleasure to view, thank you Sanjeev!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev .... i bet this was a great sighting , special in terms of conditions .

Really like the conditions and the overall capture with the tiger captured on the move , the raised paw and the look he gave you .
    I know the noise issues that come along with foggy conditions , even at lower Iso settings . And i do not understand why there is such high noise level in low contrast scenes . I have the same issues with my images.
    The moody foggy look is great , would not change the overall feel . But bet there will come different views .... LOL . Which is ok .

Sadly the image lacks IQ as presented ....can only offer you to fire the file .

TFS Andreas

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You were close to this big guy. Like the pose and the eye contact. The fog gives another nice element to this frame. Nice you caught him stepping over that log.

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Sanjeev! What a super capture the pose and the composition/surroundings etc are really exceptionally pleasing. The mist hasn't done you any favours but you have my sympathy these images are so easy to overcook!

9. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all. Appreciate your comments. Andreas, I will send you the file across. I must be having your mail ID. Will check. It was indeed a special sighting and I know the IQ has suffered due to low light and fog. But the tiger environs and the foggy atmosphere is what I wanted to highlight.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev fully understand that you want to highlight the foggy atmosphere !!!
    I just feel you need to balance noise and NR ....as in parts you have no detail where ( i think ) detail can be . And you have strong noise where it should be not visible .
    I just asked you for the file ... to get a better feeling of what is possible to squeeze out .
    If the image was not shot ETTR ..... then your lost with the foggy atmosphere at Iso 6400.

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Would agree with Andreas here Sanjeev, and if you processed through DPP I'm sure Andreas can offer some tips. Check camera settings Andreas.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Special sighting indeed Doc !

I liked the foggy feel and the raised paw. Agree with the above reg the noise but i too have them in my files , will post here for sure.

But what a sighting it was ! Seeing a Tiger at such close quarters really gives you goosbumps , one can see the size and even hear its breathing, unforgettable experience.

TFS !