Thread: Tiger close up

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tiger close up

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks, wishing you all a very happy new year 2020. Hoping for some improvement in the conservation of wildlife and nature. Gloomy picture with Australian wildfires, death of about 400 tigers (1/3 due to poaching) etc. Global warming and what not. Yet its human nature to not lose hope.
    Here is a tight close up of Mahaman male tiger in dense FOG. Did not go too over board with PP as I wanted to keep the foggy feel to it. Hence kept it a bit thin.
    5D IV
    500mm
    1/2000
    f/5
    ISO 10000
    Last edited by Sanjeev Aurangabadkar; 01-01-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sanjeev, IMHO I don't feel the 5D is as good as the 1DX when it comes to high ISO, plus you are limited to 12,800 max.

I can full appreciate where you are coming on this as my first sign was of Arrowhead in exactly the same foggy conditions which does throw you a little in PP. I would have backed down on SS and have more DoF, but at these close quarters, high ISO the dynamic range is a lot less and so is you detail. If this is FF then the clipped whisker, OK, if cropped then get them all in. I can se why you kept it a bit thin, but feel you could perhaps have a tad more in the oomph, but again hard to be more precise on the MacBook Pro.

As the tweaks are done in layers with Curves the great thing is that you can adjust the strength more or less. Added some more USM too.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve this is already near full frame. So couldn't get in the whiskers but got the ears in. Could have cropped tighter to just include face and body without the ears and BG. Will try to add a bit of more levels and curves and see.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will try to add a bit of more levels and curves and see.
    Levels may add too much contrast? You could try, or maybe add some Gamma via the middle slider, but...?????

6. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- As i said earlier, I really liked this frame , the tight portrait and the foggy feel to it just works for me.

But as Steve said , high iso has affected the finer details but nothing you could have done here as per the lighting conditions.

Nice one, TFS !

8. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well it is a in your face portrait for sure. Not much else to look at but this big fellows face. I kina like this on though. The fog adds a nice element. Like the pose and the eye contact.

10. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another gem, I think you have done a good job, maybe a little more detail could be had. I am a little puzzled why you went for such a fast shutter speed and high ISO but perhaps you were anticipating more movement. Colours exposure look fine to me.

12. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post