Thread: Mating grey seals

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mating grey seals

Name:  seal-mating-1-1600.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  568.8 KB

Had a trip to the Norfolk coast to see the grey seals at a location where you can still get down to sand level. Didn't expect to see mating behaviour at this time of year, but this couple put on a full show, lasting about half an hour both in the sea, then on land, before seeing off another interested male and heading off back to the sea again

Canon 1dx
    500mm f4is
    ISO1600
    1/1600th f6.3

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike .... yes have not seen this for a long time now .
    Great that you went to photograph these guys . Traditional mating set up ...

Really low the low POV and the sweet warm winter light .... just gorgeous !!! Well executed behaviour shot and i do like the framing . Tones and colors are looking perfect to me.
    Just missing some fine detail in the fur .... or have you lost some on the way ..... due to cropping ?

TFS Andreas

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super tones and colours, DOF pretty much optimal, I like it.
    I keep meaning to get over to the East coast to photograph these guys, I suppose there's still time. I have them as you probably know on my doorstep but it is difficult to photograph them on the sand because they go to sandbanks out in the estuary.

5. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great POV and colours, looks a better location than my east coast spot.

7. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the framing here Mike and the sand caked fur, but for subjects like this you have to shoot low. Agree with Andreas that the finer detail is lacking and in the high frequency detail areas like the whiskers and around the head there are lots of sharpening halos. You don't say if this is FF or cropped, but if FF then I would have wanted a bit more DoF personally. Donna Nook I assume, then I would take a lenscoat to protect all the kit from the weather and blowing sand.

TFS
    Steve

PS Time to pop the camera body back to Canon, lots of dusty bunnies.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great low angle here. Nice framing. Like all that sand on the seals. Interaction is great as well.

10. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, a fine shot of the seals with great low angle and good techs and colours. Nice interaction too.

12. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    I like the framing here Mike and the sand caked fur, but for subjects like this you have to shoot low. Agree with Andreas that the finer detail is lacking and in the high frequency detail areas like the whiskers and around the head there are lots of sharpening halos. You don't say if this is FF or cropped, but if FF then I would have wanted a bit more DoF personally. Donna Nook I assume, then I would take a lenscoat to protect all the kit from the weather and blowing sand.

TFS
    Steve

PS Time to pop the camera body back to Canon, lots of dusty bunnies.
    Thanks Steve,

I think the loss of detail is due to the crop, I was switching between using the converter and not and the seals - as well as another bull - were moving a surprising amount. This was one that was without the 1.4 and could have done with it - such is life. I had other shots full frame, maybe this one would have been better as part of a 'story sequence'.

Not sure how much lower I cold have got, the lens was resting on the sand with a slight uphill inclination.

This was actually down in Norfolk, not at Donna Nook, I think Donna has had its day as a photographic location - great spectacle and very important ecologically, but the fences have ruined the shots for me.

Can't see any dust bunnies on this one, maybe they are more visible on a higher resolution screen than I have - its due an upgrade after I finally make e decision on where I go camera wise. Gone Nikon for underwater and change my mind about topside on a daily basis!

Mike

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Mike,

This was actually down in Norfolk, not at Donna Nook
    I think I know where you mean, are there huge sand dunes (20-30ft climb) almost like a barrier between the sea and the land, where you can look down on the shale/sandy beach?

Not sure how much lower I cold have got, the lens was resting on the sand with a slight uphill inclination.
    I think you are about the right height, albeit resting the body on the sand with an angle finder could have also worked.

Can't see any dust bunnies on this one,
    Sadly LR won't export when in the Visulise spot mode, so here is a rather crude way to illustrate both DB & sharpening halos, but the sensor is perhaps growing mushrooms???

its due an upgrade after I finally make e decision on where I go camera wise. Gone Nikon for underwater and change my mind about topside on a daily basis!
    Personally I would sit on the fence, Nikon your call, but I cannot see any advantage for you there, Olympus I still feel there is a way to go, they are inventive, put you would snuggle on PP of their files, Canon, nothing that's great currently (albeit they have hugely dropped the 5DIV massively in the US & there are issues with the new 70-200 mirrorless lens), so that leaves Sony which, given the choice I would look at, but they update bodies every month, so I would be hacked off and there are rumours currently with another a7sIIII, so when will their launch of endless bodies end?????

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You may have a point on the bunnies....

Nikon does appear to have AF benefits for for birds, but maybe not mammals? Sony is out of reach financially at the moment

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Mike,

Love the framing here and image design. Great scene well captured and pose from the subjects is superb.

Personally I am happy with POV as well as colours, but I do agree with Andreas and Steve above - more DoF would have been good and some of that fine detail is missing (perhaps due to crop). I still like this so much.

Would love to see more from you in the New Year - many thanks for your contribution here in the Wildlife Forum and for your kind comments always, much appreciated !

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Hello Mike,

Love the framing here and image design. Great scene well captured and pose from the subjects is superb.

Personally I am happy with POV as well as colours, but I do agree with Andreas and Steve above - more DoF would have been good and some of that fine detail is missing (perhaps due to crop). I still like this so much.

Would love to see more from you in the New Year - many thanks for your contribution here in the Wildlife Forum and for your kind comments always, much appreciated !

Kind regards,
    Thanks Gabriela, all the best for the new year

Mike