Thread: Tiger (Panthera tigris)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tiger (Panthera tigris)

Attached Images Attached Images

My initial sightings of tiger were everything I expected and nothing I wanted, word gets around there's a visible tiger and before you know it there's a dozen jeeps converging on one spot and continually jostling for best position - chaos! I do have shots of tigers in the road .....but they are not what I wanted.
    This was an encounter before the hoards arrived and this closer to what I wanted. I appreciate it is cluttered and messy but this is a tiger in a jungle.
    The tiger was stalking a jackal in the jungle, we didn't realise this until she suddenly charged, then we caught a glimpse of the jackal, he was running like the clappers! The tiger effortlessly closed the gap, those leaps and bounds really cover an enormous distance, the guide reckoned the jackal stood no chance of escape.
    You may not like the image, that's fine I have a thick skin so don't hold back! I do have "cleaner images... more to follow

Image input equipment model : Olympus E-M1X
    Lens focal length : 210 mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 421.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    Photographic Sensitivity : 1600
    Exposure bias : 0 EV
    Exposure time : 1/500 sec
    F number : F4
    Flash : OFF

LR & PSCC
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 12-12-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, at last, I have been waiting to see these images, but sadly it's on the laptop!!!

Overall I like the setting very much and this typifies well, how Tigers use their habitat, ultimately ambushing their victims, but you now know how well they are camouflaged and can just disappear in an instant.

Personally I feel that there is too much at the foot, and going 10x8 may offer a better framing, but again personal taste. Hard to tell on the laptop, but the lighting looks very even an so again, I might play with exposures to add/create more depth. Regarding IQ I do feel it lacks that 'crispness', OK f/4 is probably f/6.3, but at ISO 1600 as this is FF it should be better I feel, yes I would have gone to 1/1600-2000 on SS, you have your IS so 1/500 should be OK, but again folk moving in the jeep could add to any additional movement.

My initial sightings of tiger were everything I expected and nothing I wanted, word gets around there's a visible tiger and before you know it there's a dozen jeeps converging on one spot and continually jostling for best position - chaos! I do have shots of tigers in the road .....but they are not what I wanted.
    Welcome to the world of photographing Tiggers.

"cleaner images... more to follow
    Great.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it. It's a tiger in the jungle. Shows the environment that they live and hunt in. The walking pose is nice. Nice how the tiger is framed between the two trees.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it, Jon I do realise how tough it must have been to focus on the subject, given the conditions - but you've done really well Subject is sharp and colours look good, you've also "tamed" the bright BG so nicely in PP. Well exposed and I like the framing.

The OOF vegetation works beautifully, I think it helps portray the elusive nature of the species. Tigers are ambush predators, they rely not only on the camouflage their stripes provide but also on habitat, be it a tropical forest or woodland or swamp. Nice stalking pose too:)

And I agree with Steve, a bit more play with exposures could create more depth, a delicate task but worth the time
    Really enjoyed viewing, as well as reading the intro - much appreciated Let us have some more please!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon .... indeed a special moment with these magnificent cats . Fully understand your reservations about the sighting situation in these indian tiger reserves .... i can almost hear all the noises from the gypsies and that yelling of humans .... well well .

Regarding the image ... i am ok with it as presented , in terms of framing and so on . It is just their habitat .

Only thing what is bothering me a bit is the color .... think the whites are carrying too much of red/orange for my taste , but could be jut me .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much everyone, I was looking forward to reading your comments, I really do appreciate them very much. I wondered if I have made the image a little too heavy, Gabriela, Steve I hear you but not exactly sure what you refer to but I will have another look and also bare in mind your comment Andreas regarding the whites.
    Here's a repost - any better?
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 12-14-2019 at 07:37 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Compare the OP & what I sent you Jon.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Jon -- Glad you posted a Tiger image, was eagerly waiting for it. And to be very frank, I really liked this image in terms of the habitat that you have managed to capture and the intent gaze of the tiger. My only reservation is the IQ which I feel looks better in the RP but could have been better. I am fine with the colours in your RP.

Agree with the chaos during a Tiger sighting but still there are ways where one can have a sighting to its own, and one of them is your decision making in such parks, which obviously comes with experience and amount of time one can spend in the forest.

Looking forward for more images from your trip. Meanwhile I am off on a very short trip to a tiger reserve.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb, I enjoy your feedback. We did get some much less chaotic sightings of tigers, it's just that the first confirmed my greatest fears, every one was jumping up and down, arms waving some where shouting, I suggested we moved but the guide knew his subject, quite simply I was wrong but he could to a large extent predict what was likely to happen - including which jeeps would leave and when we were likely to get a better view,boy was he good, the drivers were good too. Despite all the jostling about with the jeeps never did the drivers ever argue with one another. Hope your trip proves fruitful.
    Steve, just maybe the penny has dropped, I should have put the images side by side in the first place!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon .... i think the reds looking even more `muddy `in the RP , specially in the " whites" of the subject , just my take .

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

From your two versions I personally prefer the OP in terms of colour, although I must admit I have only ever seen one tiger and that was years back, in an enclosure - so not sure I am 'qualified' to give an opinion here Never been to India either...

Nevertheless I tried a few tweaks in LR, changed WB ( temp -3, tint -5) and added a faint vignette, played with saturation and luminance), as well as in PS ( curve adjustment selectively applied to the tiger and dropped exposure in places). Cropped only a tad from the bottom as I felt the IQ might suffer.

Having been there, I think Steve and Andreas can help you better in this instance. I am just sharing with you my RP which is based on my imagination of what tigers and their environment look like

Cannot wait to see your other images!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea