Thread: Tui

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tui

Attached Images Attached Images

These birds are fairly common in New Zealand but a real bugger to get a good image of. If the light is too bright, the feathers look shiny and awful. If there is no sun, then the iridescence is hard to see.
    I finally got a good image early one morning about 30 minutes after sunrise on a day with high thin cloud.
    The tui ( pronounced "two-eee" ) is perching on the flax seed plant.
    I love the 2 white chest feathers. This bird was called the parson's bird because the white feathers reminded settlers of a parsons' collar.
    Canon 1DX 600mm v 3and 1.4x v 3
    ISO 1000 SS 1/1000 f 6.3
    Crop to 80% FF. Nothing added or cloned.
    Comments always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
    Gail
    PS. The lines you see on the tips of primaries is the shadow from the flax bud resting under the wingtips. Not a cloning artifact or PP mistake.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent angle for capturing all the different feathers of this remarkable looking bird, Gail. You managed to capture the iridescence beautifully. Great perch, perfect head turn, and good eye contact.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now there's a cool bird! I love the grey feathers on the back of the head - like an older man letting his hair grow. Nice perch too. The conditions were just right as you point out. If mine I'd see if I could blend in (or lighten slightly without introducing too much noise) the darker patch just above the head, but all else looks super.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice Shot. I would definitely address the black spot about the bird in the background.

I love the perch and the head turn. Beautiful Plumage.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely iridescent colors. I can see why it took just the right light to capture them; your patience paid off as usual. Great perch.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like everything about it except for the grumpy look on the bird.....
    Dan Kearl

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another Gail classic!! To the other comments, it looks to me like it has a skosh more contrast than needed. Awesome canvas overall. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is beautiful, Gail! I like the perch, the bird's HA and the colors. Personally, I'd prefer a more off-centre comp. with the bird shifted slightly to the right. Considering this is almost FF, maybe you could even experiment with a vertical?

This might be slightly nitpicky, but I'd also like to see the whites on the bird's neck lowered a tad. I wonder if that area's blown (the bird looks very difficult to expose for), but maybe you could extract more detail out of it. As is, my eyes go straight to that white region instead of the otherwise incredibly beautiful bird. It could also be just a difference in monitor calibration. Love this shot, regardless

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat looking bird. Nice pose and a interesting perch. The background is pretty nice as well. Don't mind the framing as is.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful image Gail, composition and colours are very pleasing. I too would vote for a lifting of the darkest plumage, just a little but it makes a significant difference.