Thread: Polarbear - close up

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Polarbear - close up

Attached Images Attached Images

Getting this close on land is just a big NO NO and so the only two options are from a zodiac or from ship and this is taken from our ship which is incredibly small allowing some good, yet safe opportunities. This is shot throw one of the bow line portal hole. If I had realised that this young bear was going to venture so close then the 24-70f/2.8 would not have been so far away, but you have to make the best of what you have at the time. Also quite often folk make the mistake that in Svalbard it's always bright and don't check their Histograms, as condition can change in an instant and so to achieve some decent techs I had to push the ISO to 5000, not a problem here, but again, some folk are hesitant to push things where they shouldn't be with current camera bodies.

Normally I would not change format ie landscape to portrait as you loose IQ and data, this is why you need to think what format best suits your capture and stick to it. However, here at this size, IQ is not a problem, but printing big could be and so hammering pixels because you got the format wrong is never ideal. On reflection I much preferred the tighter crop and strong diagonal lines, yes perhaps having the whole foot in may have been better, but not essential as it's the head I wanted and that fixed gaze. Being so close f/11 worked with good detail, texture and definition where it needs to be.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear close up (Ursus maritimus)
    Camera: Canon 5DIV
    Lens: 100-400f4.5 HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/11 ISO5000
    Original format: Landscape, cropped portrait top to bottom.
    Processed via: LRCC & PS2020

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

This was the original for comparison, almost FF.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

It's really awesome that you had the opportunity to get this close to your favourite subject, the Polar Bear

My thoughts as I am viewing, I think you have a very interesting behavioural shot! Do you perhaps remember whether your subject was a male? Recently I was reading an article about the species that said Polar Bears leave 'messages' in their footprints, their feet have sweat and oil glands which are said to be responsible for 'signature smells'. Seems to me your subject here displays the behaviour known as 'flehmen" where the animal curls back its upper lip while snuffing the scent with its mouth - is it possible that your bear here picked up the scent of a fertile female and follows her tracks?

Techs are great and so is image quality, Steve. Beautifully exposed. I have not much experience with printing but all I see here is a clean, noiseless frame with great detail and sharpness.
    And I certainly prefer the OP, love close-ups. Pose is great and like I said above, points to behaviour. A well executed, thoughtfully processed frame and I enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, absolutely gorgeous subject, great exposure and colours, fine detail and sharpness. Techs are super too. I like the OP too as it emphasises the snout and the eye.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Monarch of the north! Great detail on the bear and also like the cropping. The image is nice and sharp. Image qaulity held up nicely.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely put, John! "Monarch of the North" -very appropriate, would make a nice title for this image
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow once again! It's excellent, I think if most folks had seen the second image they would have thought that was great too! You have really processed the fur subliminally.