Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-winged Blackbird

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 7d MKII
    100-400 f4.5-5.6L (250mm)
    f5.6 1/2000 ISO-1250 hand held
    Central Park NYC 2019-04-12 12:26pm
    Last edited by david spital; 12-11-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David,

Not sure about this one even though it has some strenghts. I like the curious pose and I think you do got some great details even though I would try to bring some more out of the darkest areas. I like the tree in the background and the bokeh in the grass, it tells a story even though it is OOF.
    My main concern is the metalic perch, it has a nice color but doesn't appeal to me. I also think the foot nearest to you looks weird as it is missing it's claws due to cloning(?). Overal I would try to life the shadows and reduce the highlights to dampen the strong light a little and maybe move the bird a little off center.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ivan's critique is spot on.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Sjogren View Post
    Hi David,

Not sure about this one even though it has some strenghts. I like the curious pose and I think you do got some great details even though I would try to bring some more out of the darkest areas. I like the tree in the background and the bokeh in the grass, it tells a story even though it is OOF.
    My main concern is the metalic perch, it has a nice color but doesn't appeal to me. I also think the foot nearest to you looks weird as it is missing it's claws due to cloning(?). Overal I would try to life the shadows and reduce the highlights to dampen the strong light a little and maybe move the bird a little off center.
    I'm not crazy about the perch either. No toes cloned out though.
    I did think about lightening the dark areas a bit and bringing down the light about the perimeter. Maybe I'll give it try. Thanks for your input.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pretty neat pose, and the image has a certain "richness" that I like to it. I agree about the perch though. These guys are so common that you will get your chances with better perches.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The nice thing about these birds is you usually get lots of chances to get some decent frames. The pose is great. Looks like not a true adult yet.