Thread: No long lens, no flash, many hummers... RF glass rocks...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default No long lens, no flash, many hummers... RF glass rocks...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R RF 24-105 @105 f4 1/1300 ISO 400 manual mode
    I haven't been out birding in a while as my grand kids have consumed my time. Just got back from visiting my grandson in Ecuador. First time I had the guts to travel with camera. No birding lenses though (next time for sure). I did have my first two RF lenses (35 1.8 and 24-105 f4). This glass is incredible when compared to requisite EF glass. So, there were hummers (so many varieties it blows my mind) and tanagers(also big variety) everywhere. 105mm was not going to cut it though. Just off the front porch my daughter said these flowers have many hummers every morning. So, I decided to at least get a couple very small in the frame. This image is 20% of the full frame. You can imagine how small the hummer was in the full frame. In fact I could not focus on the flying birds as the focus box was bigger than the bird. Had to wait for bird to land then use the flower and bird to focus. So, just a fun test as IQ will suffer from huge crop and the image is busy. Can't wait for RF telephoto. I may even jump at 70-200mm 2.8 just to get started.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting photo and an interesting read. For me the biggest problem is thad the GREENs on the bird and the REDs on some of the flowers need to be toned down.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat looking hummer and flower. Like the placement of the bird in the frame.

5. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post