Thread: Great Black-backed Gull Feasting On Common Goldeneye.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Black-backed Gull Feasting On Common Goldeneye.

Attached Images Attached Images

I was in my car when I came across this scene. I took a few from my car then decided to chance it out and go for a lower angle by stepping out slowly. Good decision as the gull was concentrating on the meal and pretty much ignored me. It only last a few minutes as the river's current carried the scene out of good photo range, but I had already taken a few good images. Fun stuff!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1250s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, small crop for comp, deepened the blacks and bumped the saturation a bit more than usual due to the properly exposed but rather washed-out files.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel. Well spotted...glad you were able to exit the car and take the shot. Nice low angle. The birds do seem a little soft to me?...so used to your tack sharp images.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very neat frame of this behavior. Did the gull scavene this or kill it? The low angle is nice. I like the soft light brings out the detail nicely. Bet your glad you got out of the car.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting opportunistic shot, well done. The pose of the duck is curious, on its back, legs apart, head up watching itself being consumed!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now there's something you don't see often, I wonder if Topaz AI sharpen can polish it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey guys, thanks! What I forgot to say is that there was a good mist rising from the water, which did indeed impact the sharpness. Glad you guys caught that lack of usual crispness!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured Dan...Not often one gets the chance to photograph this behaviour. Yes, these Great Black Backed Gulls are super predators over here as well. I have witnessed them taking Puffins. Well done on photographing this behaviour.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

GBBGs are f'ing beasts, and this is an incredibly unique shot of their killing power. Glad were were able to get out of the car to get this; I think you did as well as you were going to given the impromptu nature and horrible lighting.