Thread: Red deer buck (Cervus elaphus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red deer buck (Cervus elaphus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held, taken a few weeks ago on a cold and frosty morn!

Image input equipment model : Olympus E-M1X
    Lens focal length : 150 mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 300.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    Photographic Sensitivity : 200
    Exposure bias : +1 EV
    Exposure time : 1/320 sec
    F number : F5
    Flash : OFF

ACR + PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, and a warm welcome back, for a moment I thought it was going to be a young Sambar deer.

Overall I quite like the atmosphere, with the mist burning off and the warm, saturated light burning through the reeds, but I'm not sure about the inclusion of the reeds in the bottom LHC, or does this act as an anchor? I did have a play with going more 16x10, however I'm still not happy with that crop, perhaps others will chime in with some additional thoughts. Still feel the critical sharpness is missing and where the 'Action' you have hinders the new files, if the Raw is pin sharp. Personally, albeit tedious, would remove a lot of the white spot HL's in the water, quick and easy.

Hope to see some orange & black stripped ***** cats soon...

TFS
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon, and a warm welcome back from me too

Nice drinking pose from the deer and I find the mist above the water quite charming. I have little experience with shooting in such conditions (mist/fog) but remember one instance when I had to use manual focus because the camera was struggling a bit.

Regarding composition: I did the same thing Steve did, tried a more pano crop but not quite happy with it. Perhaps if the subject was positioned more to the right of the frame it might have worked better. Don't mind the HL in the water near the deer but I too think the ones at the bottom should go if your ethics permit.

Something different than what we see every day, and what makes this image for me is the mood, the early morning feel. Let's see some more, Jon, thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very neat the buck is in the water. Would love for a whitetail frame like this. The fog is nice and i like the light. Not sure on the crop. Maybe some off the bottom and the right.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon -- Great to have you back, and like Steve I too felt it was a young Sambar, but any ways waiting for those big cat images.

I really liked the feel here , with the mist oozing out and the the Deer right in the middle of the pond. I didnt liked those grass in the bottom lhs corner, for me it is a bit distracting.

Cropping from bottom, right upto the tip where the grass ends and slightly from top provides an alternate crop , but as mentioned above not ideal because the way that Deer is positioned.

TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks for your comments and welcome back. I can sympathise with your reservations over the image shape, I suppose I have become used to the 4:3 ratio as opposed to the 3:2 so it didn't bug me. I'll have another look at the image but I think a pano version may tend to lose some of the atmosphere I was attempting to capture.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 11-24-2019 at 03:40 PM.