Thread: Florida Scrub Jay

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Florida Scrub Jay

Attached Images Attached Images

The Florida Scrub Jay is one of the only true endemic birds in Florida, the other being the Florida Burrowing Owl. I realize that the upwards angle is not the best, but crawling around in the Scrub Oaks doesn't allow much flexibility. The perch/bush is the Scrub Oak that the bird prefers for habitat, nesting in the branches and feeding on the small acorns. This bird is endangered in Florida from habitat loss only surviving in small pockets of preserved land statewide. The image was captured in southeast Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, image captured at 330mm
    1/2500 F/8 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 720 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2020 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 11-16-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe:

Sharp, well exposed image of an uncommon bird. The perch is a bit busy, but the only area that I might consider tweaking is the vertical twig just behind his head.

Because of the birds gaze and the pose, it might work as.a vertically cropped image as well.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Joe:

Sharp, well exposed image of an uncommon bird. The perch is a bit busy, but the only area that I might consider tweaking is the vertical twig just behind his head.

Because of the birds gaze and the pose, it might work as.a vertically cropped image as well.

Cheers

Randy
    Hi Randy, thank you for viewing and commenting. I just happen to have a vertical of the image. When it seems appropriated I work up both versions. I removed the branch as you suggested. Thanks again.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice sharp image. Not an ideal HA. Like the second crop better. I would lose the branch in the upper right corner.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Backs View Post
    Nice sharp image. Not an ideal HA. Like the second crop better. I would lose the branch in the upper right corner.
    Hi Jack, thank you for viewing and commenting. I think the head angle is okay, while capturing images the bird looked towards me. I thought this head angle was more engaging for the viewer of the image. I left that branch in the upper right hand corner because it was a continuation of the branch lower in the frame on the left. I also think it balances the image. Here is a image from the series that has a head angle more to what you would like. Thanks again for commenting.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe:

I prefer the head angle in the last post. And, I do think removing the twig behind the head cleaned up the visual.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

An original vertical with more room would have been the best option IMO. Cool bird with great blue hues, and nice details. I gotta see these guys sometime!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    An original vertical with more room would have been the best option IMO. Cool bird with great blue hues, and nice details. I gotta see these guys sometime!
    Hi Dan, thank you for viewing and commenting. I just worked up the image as you suggested, vertical with more room, it is posted below. I left the branch that Randy suggested removed, I go both ways on removing it.

If you ever come to Florida again, contact me. I think I can hook you up with these birds.
    Joe Przybyla