Thread: SONY 1200mm Black Vulture head portrait

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default SONY 1200mm Black Vulture head portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

Black Vulture head portrait, vertical with blue background

This image was created on November 8, 2019 at Indian Lake Estates, FL. Working from my SUV, I used the Induro GIT 304/FlexShooter Pro-mounted Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS lens, the Sony FE 2.0x teleconverter, and the 61-MP monster, the Sony Alpha a7R IV Mirrorless Digital Camera Body. ISO 500. Exposure determined by Zebras with ISO on the rear dial: 1/250 sec. at f/11 in Manual mode was perfect. AWB also at 9:48am on a sunny morning. Flexible Spot (S) Continuous/tracking AF was active at the moment of exposure. I selected an AF point to cover the bird’s eye. With large in the frame subjects like this, Animal Eye Tracking works very well even though it is not supposed to work on birds. But heck, an eye is an eye.

Learn more about the creation and see four more similar images in the blog post here.

I would say that overall my SONY gear is not garbage.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome and appreciated.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice portrait. Impressive sharpness for 2x TC.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool portrait, full of wonderful texture. Would you try it in black and white?
    My lottery didn't come in so no way can I explore Sony.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

Amazing detail. It really pops on the 5K monitor. I agree, B&W would be a natural for this one!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The detail and resolution are superb. You must be tickled pink using your Sony gear. The image looks better here than when I looked at it on your blog. Thank you for sharing, Artie.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Technology in the right hands. Detail Detail Deeetail... it's amazing , other worldly. What is your zebra IRE indicator range set to? It's obviously working well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks All. Great suggestion on the B&W. The sharpness and detail of the 17r IV is amazing, even at 1200mm.

with love, artie

ps: I could not resist painting the eye back in ...

pps: Used NIK Silver EFEX Pro High Contrast smooth. I should have corrected the vignetting on the B&W :)
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 11-16-2019 at 05:08 PM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrific detail. I wouldn't consider switching systems at his point for monetary reasons and primarily for the fact that I'm more the limiting factor than my equipment. It may be a consideration in the future.
    I'll be interested in how you find the durability/reliability a year or so from now with heavy use and Sony's customer service if repairs are needed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Backs View Post
    Terrific detail. I wouldn't consider switching systems at his point for monetary reasons and primarily for the fact that I'm more the limiting factor than my equipment. It may be a consideration in the future.
    I'll be interested in how you find the durability/reliability a year or so from now with heavy use and Sony's customer service if repairs are needed.
    Thanks Jack. SONY does NOT do its own repairs. I had a very bad experience with Precision Camera when I smacked my 100-400 but SONY stepped up to the plate ...

with love, a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by david spital View Post
    Technology in the right hands. Detail Detail Deeetail... it's amazing , other worldly. What is your zebra IRE indicator range set to? It's obviously working well.
    LOwer limit 105+ but that is a secret ...

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Munsey View Post
    Cool portrait, full of wonderful texture. Would you try it in black and white?
    My lottery didn't come in so no way can I explore Sony.
    Hey Tim, Good suggestion. I'd say that you are ding just fine with the gear you have :)

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    The detail and resolution are superb. You must be tickled pink using your Sony gear. The image looks better here than when I looked at it on your blog. Thank you for sharing, Artie.
    Thanks Joe. Bigger files posted here :)

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You say that Sony stepped up to the plate with your repair experience. Was Sony aware of who you were/are with respect to the bird/wildlife photography community?
    I think it's an important point. Do you think an average Joe would get the same service.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic details. These guys have more hair on their head/face/neck area than I thought. Sunny at 9:48 during the mid-summer months would have been tougher than in November, eh! Although when bright, go tight, as someone once or twice said

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both versions look great. Can't wait to hear the New Mexico report.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome detail here. Sony kit looks to be working very well. Very nice colors and composition here. Awesome DOF. TFS