Thank You Posts

Default Red Grouse

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 with 2xiii
    f/8
    1/800
    ISO 640

I managed this one from my vehicle whilst driving through the Glen. The perch is a Drystane Dyke which will be well over 100 years old.

Will

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another Beauty William. The wall sure makes it different. I love the moss and lichens great capture.Nice to see the feet. TFS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you went 'wider' for a change Will.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fine looking bird on a great perch, well taken.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely colour and ike the stone walling being clean and sharp as it puts the whole frame in context .Only in Scotland!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a wonderful look at this beautiful bird. Lighting is perfect, and the wider crop adds the perfect amount of context. Sharpness is almost there (like 8.5/10), the 2X certainly the reason. But this is still a killer frame, and a bit of selective sharpening on the head would help alleviate a relatively minor critique.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent Image. I love everything about this image.

Love the feet. You got beautiful scene.

One of my favorites from your Red Grouse series.

Well done.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You got a lovely frame here, made speical by the stunning habitat and small bird in frame. Light and background are superb. The pose and the eye contact are spot on as well. Dorian mentions that the sharpness isn't spot on and i agree. You might wanna try TopazLabs new sharpening programme that many people started using recently, I find it better than selective sharpening in Photoshop for situations like this one.

birds are so beautiful! Would love to photograph them one day. Are they shy when approaching on foot?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments and advice regarding the sharpening. Hi Ivan...Where I go they keep their 'safe' distance if you approach on foot, if you get too close, then they usually fly off in the opposite direction. However, if it is a male defending his territory, you can get real close. Apart from the one male I know I can get close to, I usually take photographs from the vehicle. Early morning there are always a few in range from the single tracked road. At this time of the year, and the winter months ahead, snow can be a problem, as this road does not get cleared of snow. However, a small amount of snow is good, if you use a 4x4, access can be gained to where they habitat. Black Grouse hang out there as well, but even more difficult to get close to. Because they shoot the grouse in this area, the birds are wary of human presence. I am sure you would enjoy photographing them. I am returning again tomorrow morning, it is about a 90min drive from where I live, so I will be at the Glen before the sun is up.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to get a view of the whole bird. The placement in the frame is right on. Killer background and some nice light.