Thread: The 'ice' Bear...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The 'ice' Bear...

Attached Images Attached Images

This was the first Polar bear we found on the first day, not realising we would then encounter another 20 more over the expedition, with a further six more from a distance.

As we quietly sailed into the fjord there he was, lying down on a small island with this glacier backdrop. He would occasionally lift his head, sniff, yawn and give the odd glance to us, then would fall back in the land of nod. After some three hours he finally got up, stretched and made his way slowly towards the edge of the island where he quietly slipped into the water. We then deployed the two zodiacs and shadowed him from a healthy comfort zone. he must have swam about 3kms before surfacing back onto land and gently made his way to the spit, overlooking us from around 20ft above.

Our patience paid off delivering around 15 minutes of prime shooting, he I think loved the attention, whilst cleaning his paws , resting his head on his paws, or just watching, it's all about respect. The angle belies shooting much lower.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear (Ursus maritimus)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500mm f/4 MKII plus 1.4x MKIII
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO3200
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop from the top FF width
    Processed via: LR Classic (release 9) & PS2020

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yorkshire wildlife park? They need to dye their polar bears white and create a more fitting landscape.
    A nice study of the bear that to me has a very active mind.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yorkshire wildlife park?
    London Zoo Tim, as it's just around the corner.

Actually our good friend 'up north' did I think all of the Visitor centre stuff at the YWP, interspersed with the new Harry Potter in Florida & in London. Back up north next week for a flying visit, hope it's stopped raining!!!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Indeed your patience paid off, Steve - this is WOW for me Fantastic POV, lovely pose from the bear and the colourful vegetation in the FG adds immensely to the frame. BG is awesome too.

Well exposed and perfectly composed. Great detail, PP work is superb. I think this is my favourite of your bear images, just cannot take my eyes off those colours

I take it you had quite a number of PB sightings on this trip...are we in for a 'treat' every now and then?

So looking forward to more Thank you so much for sharing, a pleasure to view,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well exposed
    So easy to do, but dare I say, even better in the EVF of a mirrorless.
    Yes there are more to come, of others and of this guy too, but all in good time, no need to rush. Lets see more from others and yourself.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    So easy to do, but dare I say, even better in the EVF of a mirrorless.
    Yes there are more to come, of others and of this guy too, but all in good time, no need to rush. Lets see more from others and yourself.
    I get the hint, will share some more The Ele was my 400th thread, by the way
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This one is spot on for me. Like the pose and the look in the eyes. Detail in the fur looks great. Nice view of both paws as well. Nice to see the claws a little. Framing is right on.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Corker of an image Steve ! Though i have missed seeing some images of PB recently posted by you but so far this one looks the best. Stunning details , and very nicely framed. The colourful moss/ vegetation in the FG adds immensely IMO. Superbly exposed to get all those finer details . Enjoyed viewing this one.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve, what a fine shot! Great looking PB with super natural colours and perfect composition! Loved the detail and the hesitant eye contact made. TFS.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve, thank you for sharing this magnificent bear. I can only imagine how it feels to be so close. Techs spot on as always. I have a question though. My first thought looking at the image was that I might put a slight burn on the top of the head with the Adjustment Brush in lightroom set to feather the burn 100% at a 50% flow. I think there is more detail there that can be shown. WDYT? Thanks again for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

My first thought looking at the image was that I might put a slight burn on the top of the head with the Adjustment Brush in lightroom set to feather the burn 100% at a 50% flow.
    Cheers Joe and thanks for the input, always nice to see other folks thoughts.

Personally I think it's fine as there is detail & tone, perhaps less so in this sRGB 256 colour rendition and also how you are viewing the screen, in a lit room or in the dark? Always good to use the brush at 50% because you can build the strokes up. I would prefer to do anything like this within PS and layers utilising a Channel Curves adjustment because I can then ensure the desired effect and the adaption of certain blend modes too to ensure no colour shifts.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the berries as much as the bear and I love the bear a lot. Many whites in soft light show little to no detail so I am 100% fine with the top of the head.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.