Thread: Distant dolphins

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Distant dolphins

Name:  Dolphin-house-1600.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  522.6 KB

I was at a site called Sha'ab el erg where there is a pod of resident dolphins. It used to be carnage there with countless day boats all dropping in snorkelers all over the place, but its now a designated marine park and a lot more peaceful. Hopes were high for close ups as we arrived - right until the point we got wet. The prevailing current is north to south and brings good visibility but we managed to get a rare day of south to north meaning you couldn't see much further than 10 metres.

Then - the dolphins turned up, but back luck part 2 struck. There are 5 females and a calf in the above picture and they're all sleeping. When doing this they effectively shut down half their brain and just swim, with zero interest in having any interaction with you.

This was all over in a few seconds, so no time to change settings from what I was using to photograph a resident Bumphead Napolean Wrasse.

Still, as something different I thought I'd put it up here - and it means I'll have to go back for another go next year!

Nikon D500 in Nauticam housing
    Nikon 8-15mm fisheye @ 15mm
    ISO 200
    1/250th, f11
    Last edited by Mike Poole; 11-04-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the blue here. Wish the dolphins were more centered. But sounds like you had tough shooting conditions.