Thank You Posts

Default A cold and Frosty Morning

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 with 1.4 iii
    f/5.6
    1/500
    ISO 800

This is an image I captured early light in the Glen where I normally photograph the Red Grouse with the sun behind me. I tried something different with the rising sun in front of me. I have never tried this type of photography before, so any tips and advice will be appreciated

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Frost! Hey i want some frost down here. So you're after a backlit look? If so you need to underexpose.
    I would like a lower point of view and perhaps a touch more sharpening, is the DO lens OK with flare I know the
    Nikon PF's aren't so hot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this attempt Will. Always great to try something different. Might consider raising the shadows a touch as the bird's a bit too dark as presented.

When shooting back-lit images, I find it best to follow most of the principles and techniques that I use to shoot front-lit shots, i.e, getting close and being at eye-level. The main considerations are sun angle and distance between your subject and the background. It's generally best to shoot just as the sun's breaking the horizon for a couple of reasons - it minimizes any atmospheric distortion which can render the background nervous (as it looks to be the case here), and the colors are much warmer and softer. Ideally, the sun should be right behind your subject as it gives the best results (in terms of shadows and colors), but a slight angle won't do much harm. Hope this helps

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that Tim and Aditya....Tim...The DO is pretty resistant to flare, never had much bother with it. Great lens and nice and easy to carry around. and when we do get some bright days, the 800mm comes in handy @f/8. My last lens was the old 500, so I notice a huge difference.....Aditya...Thanks for that advice, I really liked reading some of your blog, I'll go back to it later, some interesting stuff on there...

Will

5. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the mood to this one. The frost adds a nice element. The position of the bird in the frame is right on.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This works well as a cold habitat photo.... I would crop tighter.
    Dan Kearl