Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Young Red Stag

  1. #1
    Lifetime Member Mike Poole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    2,842
    Threads
    273
    Thank You Posts

    Default Young Red Stag

    Name:  Young-stag-1-1600.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  577.8 KB

    Believe it or not we actually had some nice light in England one evening! As such it was off to shoot the Red Deer herd, and I managed to get this juvenile against the distant hill backdrop.

    Canon 1dx
    500mm f4 + 1.4x
    ISO 800
    1/1600th f6.3

    Mike

  2. #2
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wirral UK
    Posts
    12,828
    Threads
    1,916
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Lyme Park? Lovely rich colours and the backdrop is gorgeous.

  3. #3
    Lifetime Member Mike Poole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    2,842
    Threads
    273
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Lyme Park? Lovely rich colours and the backdrop is gorgeous.
    Cheers Jon, yep this is at Lyme. Sat on a rock close by for about an hour hoping they would hang around as the sun went down - and for once they played ball!

    Mike

  4. #4
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    6,872
    Threads
    1,311
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Great view of this stag. He looks quite proud. Killer background. Sweet light as well. This would make a nice vertical.

  5. #5
    BPN Member Tim Munsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    479
    Threads
    82
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Hi Mike lovely evening light on this fine young stag, I know Lyme park I've always found the reds elusive. I like the negative space my cuppa tea so for me its good as it is.
    If at first you don't succeed don't be a skydiver
    www.wildphotolife.co.uk

  6. #6
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    6,525
    Threads
    406
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Hello Mike,

    Beautiful red Stag in great light, nice techs, well exposed, just the right amount of DoF Lovely pose and HA, nice detail and sharpness.

    I suppose you do not want to lose an inch of that beautiful background...but you might wish to consider a tighter crop to emphasise the face and and those gorgeous antlers... Love the negative space too

    Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

  7. #7
    Publisher Arthur Morris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indian Lake Estates, FL
    Posts
    30,389
    Threads
    1,339
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Love the light, the background tones and strips, the animal, and the pose. Did you get permission to use the DEERS AS ART background?

    with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions.: we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.
    BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

    BIRDS AS ART Instructional Photo Tours (IPTs): Fort DeSoto, SEPT 2018. Bosque, DEC 2018. San Diego, JAN 2019

    E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net for BPN member IPT discount info.










  8. #8
    Lifetime Member Mike Poole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    2,842
    Threads
    273
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Munsey View Post
    Hi Mike lovely evening light on this fine young stag, I know Lyme park I've always found the reds elusive. I like the negative space my cuppa tea so for me its good as it is.
    Cheers Tim, they do have 2 favoured spots, early morning near to the cottages, and last thing in the evening they like to make their way from the far side of the trees back over towards the 'cage' side. Of course, no guarantees!

    Mike

  9. #9
    Lifetime Member Mike Poole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    2,842
    Threads
    273
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Hello Mike,

    Beautiful red Stag in great light, nice techs, well exposed, just the right amount of DoF Lovely pose and HA, nice detail and sharpness.

    I suppose you do not want to lose an inch of that beautiful background...but you might wish to consider a tighter crop to emphasise the face and and those gorgeous antlers... Love the negative space too

    Kind regards,
    Thanks Gabriela,

    It was indeed the background that I wanted to showcase as much as the deer in this shot. I do have tighter crops, might be tempted to post one at some point!

    cheers

    Mike

  10. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
  11. #10
    Lifetime Member Mike Poole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    2,842
    Threads
    273
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Love the light, the background tones and strips, the animal, and the pose. Did you get permission to use the DEERS AS ART background?

    with love, a
    Ha ha, cheers Artie, the royalty cheque for the background is in the post!

    Mike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Web Analytics