Thread: New Zealand Saddleback.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

New Zealand Saddleback.

Attached Images Attached Images

The original uncropped version was too far left so unfortunately bit of a tail cut off !!
    Details: Heavily wooded aviary.
    No flash.
    Pentax K10D with Tamron 70-300 @ 180mm Macro.
    ISO 800 1/250 @ F5.6
    10.40 AM.
    Taken 3 January 2008.
    Edited with Elements 5.
    Comments welcome.

Thanks for looking : Ian McHenry

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ian
    It's difficult to shoot in heavily wooded areas and get all of the bird in the image. Sometimes patience is the answer...and other times just luck. You've already mentioned the clipped tail. Also it's desirable to have the beak in full view as well as all the foot. You might want to back a little if you can.....as you seemed pretty close. The bird is dark and not showing a lot of detail. You might try using some flash in these types of situations. I would keep trying different settings......digital is a wonderful thing and you can learn through experimentation. You have some interesting birds and opportunities in the aviary so keep at it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Lana
    Up till now my main priority has been getting a good eye shot. But looks like now I will be thinking Eye & beak. LOL
    Ho hum !!!
    I have tried a few pop up camera flash aviary, and in the bush shots but probably need a dedicated hot shoe flash like Metz, Sigma or Pentax.
    Also agree totally about the feet, chopped off feet are not a good look !!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ian,

Lana has given you some great advice and pointed out most of the flaws in the image. For future attempts you may wish to try spending some time observing the birds and their patterns. Birds are creatures of habit. Try to find a perch that is in good light and has a pleasing bg, and is freequented by the birds you wish to photograph. Once you find a pattern that may yield a great image, position yourself accordingly and wait for the right moment.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jim.
    I have used this technique for Kingfishers in the wild but never thought of it for pictures of birds in an aviary with tight locations for taking photographs. Much appreciated. Favourite perches rules !!!!
    If you saw my 2nd Kingfisher flight shot this was from a favourite perch.
    Cheers: Ian McHenry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianrmc/