Thread: Blowhard!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blowhard!

Attached Images Attached Images

Bottle-nosed Dolphin blowing

This image was created on July 30, 2019 with the hand held Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens (at 102mm) and the beyond remarkable AF King, the Sony Alpha a9 Mirrorless Digital Camera. ISO 1250: 1/1600 sec. at f/6.3 in Manual mode. Exposure determined by Zebras with ISO on the rear dial … AWB at 12:15pm on a cloudy day. Center Zone Continuous/tracking AF was active at the moment of exposure.

If you like ten pin bowling -- yes, bowling, or you would like to learn more about the creation of this image made from the Samba on my last Galapagos trip, see the blog post here.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are greatly appreciated.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie I have looked twice at the image and I am struggling a little. I think the title indicates the primary subject is the bubbles (?) which I'm sorry to say don't really do much for me. Regarding the dolphin and the water it is lacking in detail due to light reflection, I don't know if perhaps you used a little Dehaze on the bubbles to emphasise them?
    I have to admit if the circumstance became present for me I too would have taken the image but I would have been a little disappointed, perhaps had the snout broken free of the water or maybe an eye been visible it would have been a different story.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, nice to see something different, but like Jon, having reviewed it a few times, it's not really floating my boat either.

The framing works and the diagonal in frame of the subject gives energy, but sadly that is where it stops for me. No idea if the Dolphin just blows bubbles or and spray, but if there was spray like a Whale, maybe that might have bolstered the capture, or would be too much?

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure i have ever seen a dolphin on here. The detail and texture in the water are nice. I am also not a fan of this one.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear SKA,

First of all apologies for coming in so late, was away this week-end. Glad you shared an image taken with your new gear and very kin to see more, I will certainly take a good look at your recent avian images too Been toying with the idea of buying a few Sony cameras for Xmas for my business but my supplier cannot loan me a demo right now, so happy to get as much info as I can

Really like the symmetry and the way the dolphin fills the frame here, so I find the image overall very aesthetically pleasing. Colours look natural. On the other hand I must admit I am struggling a bit to 'connect' with the subject. The bubbles - or spray - are indeed the focus of my attention...but I want more... IMO the subject is too "ephemeral" and fails to tell the story.

Hope you're not disappointed with my comments, this is a well executed and processed frame but somehow lacks the emotion/feel I am looking for. Please post more if you have, I am certain Galapagos had a lot to offer in terms of photography, must have been an amazing trip

With love, Queen G
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

With my underwater background I'm obviously biased to liking any sea creatures! It is of an abstract nature, but for me, there is a clear enough view of the dolphin for it to work well enough, its the bubbles that make the shot though. I think anybody who has had the pleasure of watching dolphins up close, playing in the wake of the boat will appreciate this shot more.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, gang. I loved it when I saw it and still do :)

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.