Thread: Caring mommy!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Caring mommy!

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi everyone,
    Here is the full view of the special sighting I had in Mara a couple months back. Had posted some tight frames from the sequence. Here is the wider view of the mom carrying the cub across to a safe hiding place. Not sure if I got the colours right and the contrast. I hope you like it. I did not clone out the parts of the other lions paws etc. Can do that if suggested.
    1DX II
    500 II
    1/400
    f/4
    ISO 6400

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image - even though it doesn't fit on the screen - surely it doesn't fit on yours?? Some of the fur looks a little fuzzy - is this noise reduction? The image put mein mid of Gabriella's hyena, how about a crop just above the mother's knee?

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev,

Not sure if I got the colours right and the contrast.
    Sadly not in my book, its too saturated, loots of blue & contrast coming through, theres too much NR applied, however if you care to forward the file happy to take a look and check your settings.

Here you would have been better with the 100-400, tracking Mum in the viewfinder until she walked into frame and then let rip. As presented it's too tight at the foot, not enough DoF, not sure why you were wed to f/4 on this trip. May be going landscape may have been better as per Jons thought, albeit you would loose the legs but it's tighter on mum, cub and lost some of the surrounding legs. I know light was tight but here, shooting further away may have offered a chance for more DoF, certainly f/8-9, but here even f/11 may not have been enough here, but lets see the Raw. Also I think if we have Mum emerging so to speak and have her prominent we can perhaps address some of the surrounding areas to draw the eye????

Sanjeev, I made some hum dingers with FP being off on the last trip, really bad ones and so in the excitement its hard and I fully understand why you like it, but I'm hoping that next time you can improve things for a better capture. The RP is no way ideal, but may show there is some areas that perhaps we can improve on if you pop the file over.

TFS
    Steve

I see some old faces just looking...

4. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

An alternative too...

6. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Sanjeev,

I was so looking forward to see more on this special mom and her little cub. Love the way she is holding him, the grip looks firm yet gentle Really like the pose and mom's swishy tail. POV is great. Cub is simply adorable.

Set aside composition, for me the main issues with the OP are the colour casts and contrast. Steve has done an incredible job with those two RP's and the colours look very natural in both. Must say I prefer the second one - it just works, and no distracting elements/paws.

Hope you have a lovely week-end,

And thank you so much for sharing,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

8. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have no problem at all with the color and contrast in the original post. Velvia vs. K64 :) Clipping the paws is a mortal sin. And I hate flies (and clutter), thus the repost. The cuteness is unparalleled and strangely -- my favorite part of the image is the wound.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

10. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for chipping in and helping out. Will work on the colours and contrast. Steve the 2 RP is nearly there, am appreciative of your support. Artie, many thanks for dropping in a few lines and RP. Yes the wound does tell a story.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like everything about this one. The techinal stuff has already been covered. Hope to see some more.

13. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

All been said already - beautiful pose and I really like the scar as an added interest. I prefer the tighter versions but don't mind the flies as I'm sure they're a constant feature in that part of the world

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- A lovely moment to witness and capture, you must be very happy with this in your collection.

So many different opinions and views , interesting to see different ideas and thought process. Like Steve, I too feel the colours are bit saturated and his RP takes this in the right direction. Apart from the corrections suggested , i feel , this is still a nice frame and the moment is just superb.

TFS !