Thread: Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held, this hind was just turning her head towards a bellowing stag. Image is cropped, again compositionally not ideal my lens was too long (going back on Monday with the zoom instead).

Image input equipment model : Olympus E-M1X
    Lens focal length : 300 mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 601.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    Photographic Sensitivity : 80
    Exposure bias : 0 EV
    Exposure time : 1/160 sec
    F number : F4
    Flash : OFF

ACR + PSCC
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 10-24-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, the pose of the deer is nice but wish the hind limb was not obscured by grass but not a big issue. The comp is not ideal with more space to left and less to right as we see it. It is sharp but why to low ISO and low SS? You could have stopped down and raised that ISO? Colours look fine.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great view of this red deer. Like the pose and setting. Agree with the composition being a little akward. Nice and sharp.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sanjeev and John, the composition is poor - as previous post due to a lens that was too long!
    The low SS and ISO is me messing about, I use Auto ISO and take images at differing shutter speeds. I think provided the subject is temporarily static I can drop the SS much lower than I could with Canon - and without a tripod. The image quality is not so good as Canon at higher ISO , so two reasons one for fun the other too optimise quality. This is one of the joys of the new system there are new boundaries to explore exploit and avoid, and I am finding out where they are. I discovered yesterday I could produce acceptable images at ISO 12800, three months ago I would have said 3200 was max usable ISO, - happy days!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon, I think it might be worth a quick explanation on the kit and shooting 'Mirrorless', as I'm sure SS & DoF will crop up again and again.

Albeit this file is sharp, I just feel it's haveay in the blacks and this 'Action; for sharpening isn't helping. Agree the pose/framing is not ideal but I do quite like the setting, more natural. I tried loosing some from the RHS but as you can see it doesn't help, just needed the subject to be to the right more 'in frame'.

TFS
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon

Looked at your image for some time last night and then started reading about mirrorless gear to get a better understanding on your techs. Sorry I did not comment, was reading some reviews and watched a few videos as well, when I looked at the time it was close to midnight

I quite liked the way you captured the Deer/hind looking back although I too wish she was more to the right of the frame. Colours are lovely, especially the subject's brownish/reddish coat and the various nuances of green in the FG. Steve's RP is definitely an improvement, subject appears less contrasty and there's such fine detail on its face and coat.

Interested to see more of your images and experiments with the new gear - I already have a few customers enquiring about mirrorless cameras and had to admit I did not know much about them. Not sure Uncle Nikon is willing to lend me one, we will see

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve I have covered the set up in several posts, if people have specific questions I am pleased to answer but I don't want to appear as though I am encouraging everyone to convert - because I am not. The image is too heavy agreed, my original was like yours but for some reason I decided to go for bit more oomph.
    Gabriela, yes composition not good for reasons given. You are quite right the detail capture capability is really amazing, I often use this lens hand held for insect photography at 1/60 sec or thereabout, so long as subject is still and in the right plane it is truly amazing, forget the rule book and write your own!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Jon,

Shall gladly go back to your previous posts and read more about your set-up, must have been on holiday when you started sharing images taken with your new gear.

And no I won't think you are trying to convert us, LOL. Happy with what I have for now, but wouldn't mind selling a few mirrorless cameras to my customers...this way I get to play with them too

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea