Thread: Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held, I have a couple of small sumacs in the garden and I thought this one might make for a colourful autumnal perch so I placed a feeder nearby and a single flash head with soft box directly in front, the camera was slightly to the left with a transmitter in the hot shoe.
    The weather was cloudy slightly dull.

Image input equipment model : Olympus E-M1X
    Lens focal length : 210 mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 421.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    Photographic Sensitivity : 400
    Exposure bias : 0 EV
    Exposure time : 1/250 sec
    F number : F6.3
    Flash : ON (Fill-in)

ACR + PSCC

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good flash work and I like the way the the top and bottom branch and leaves frame the bird.
    I would trim back/prune the leaf tips that are touching the head.I would also trim the little dead brown bit on bottom of RLC. and the little leaf exiting the frame in RLC. It tidies things up.
    IQ is excellent.
    The BG looks beautiful and I wish that OOF branch was not there at all to show even more of that great BG.
    Do you have some more canvas LHS? I find the crop a bit boxy.

Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice flash technique, beautiful background, good pose. I like the leaves framing the bird, but would like it just as much without the oof leaves above. At least trim the several leaf tips touching the bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yep more cropped from the top...Looking good Jon. Love the colours... I don't think the Golfinch are looking quite at their best yet.

Will

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I think this is lovely, but agree with Will, the GF's are not perhaps at their best currently and I would crop some off the top with that lighter RHC.

Overall it looks a bit 'Contrasty' , to much black masking things, especially the finer detail. I would try to oped things up a bit and get some more detail back in. In doing so the BKG adds a bit more separation to the subject and the detail you captures is more evident. Is the Flash off camera, would be better if it was.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Contrast looks fine from here. My main problem is the centered subject and those leaves just above the bird's head ...

You might have tried putting the bird on the left side of the frame looking out to accentuate the fall color.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Detail on the bird looks pretty nice. Wish the bird was more to the right or left and not dead center. Nice and sharp. Flash was well controlled.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback every one, I have attached the original file uncropped so you may appreciate the choice I made when cropping. I have also reduced contrast in the goldfinch and raise exposure slightly.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 10-24-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, I still stick by my thoughts, however I do feel the 'tan' colour in the body plumages is better in your RP. What is surprising is the red in the face plumage, here it appears more orange/red ours further south are deeper red.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi John, I still stick by my thoughts, however I do feel the 'tan' colour in the body plumages is better in your RP. What is surprising is the red in the face plumage, here it appears more orange/red ours further south are deeper red.
    Yes the orange/red head is a temporary circumstance, it will become the customary red over time. The tan colour has effectively been diluted as a result of a slight lift in exposure and a drop in contrast.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The tan colour has effectively been diluted as a result of a slight lift in exposure and a drop in contrast.
    Positive then, as it's certainly closer to what we have in the garden.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

hmmmm think you need a better specimen Jonathan looks a little scruffy, like the use of foliage for framing.