Thread: Watchful

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Watchful

Attached Images Attached Images

Perhaps a 'marmite' shot, or not... but this was shot deep in the bush, light was ridiculous with little, or no opportunity until this female Leopard moved position and then one spot just worked. As she lay on the ground what she was focused on was her cub playing and learning about her new environment. Little did we know that this would be the last we ever would see both this female and cub, she was never seen again in the area or surrounding properties.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Leopard in light (Panthera pardus) female
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500 f/4 MKII
    Exposure: 1/1000s at f/5.6 ISO2500 HH
    Original format: Portrait, slight crop from the top, almost FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 10-24-2019 at 01:34 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Was this from your recent trip Steve ? I like Marmite I find the eyes utterly entrancing ,there's a dot of black in the lower eye (not the pupil) that amazingly I find distracting : I think it's because the upper eye is so strong and detailed one is drawn to stare at them both and wonder what's going on behind...even though you have told me I'm drawn to what she's thinking. I'm not terribly bothered by the oof veggies part of the surroundings LLHC.

I think it's beautiful Steve ,I also don't think I've ever seen a leopard image quite like it, ...............really well done.

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Was this from your recent trip Steve ?
    No Stu, recent trip was far colder, look further down the list of postings, however I will post something on Thursday from the recent trip.

I find the eyes utterly entrancing ,there's a dot of black in the lower eye (not the pupil) that amazingly I find distracting
    Big cats can suffer from all manner of things, some natural, some from fights or encounters with other big cats, but as this is natural I feel it should stay.

I'm not terribly bothered by the oof veggies part of the surroundings LLHC.
    Nothing you can do and as you say, it's not that limiting.

Stu, I have and will be posting some stuff to think on and 'perhaps' make folk think when they are out in the field, will it work, who knows.

4. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not perfect but this is a really strong image, I have rolled the pane up and down the computer screen several times and every time I immediately zoom in on the eye followed by the cat's whiskers. The OOF leaf or whatever it is on the nose is a little unfortunate but the eye, whiskers and fur more than hold my attention. I know this is repetitive but again you payed great attention to detail optimising sharpening and revealing detail in the dark spots.
    I'm not keen on marmite - much rather have a pint, but I am keen on the image, it's a hum dinger.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

'm not keen on marmite - much rather have a pint, but I am keen on the image, it's a hum dinger.
    I'll treat you to a pint...

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you Steve,

There's something I learnt from you some time ago, and that is: 'never let an opportunity go by if you can help it'. And yes, I still have to learn to process my images better, but that's a long term commitment

Given the elusive nature of the leopard - something I am sure you had on mind at the time you witnessed the scene or processed the image - I think this frame works so well. Some of the vegetation partially conceals the face of this female leopard... but then there's that bit that's so sharp and so well detailed and which draws the eye so nicely...

Love the presence of those leaves on the ground and the twigs, those muted colours in the BG, the tight crop is so intimate and brings the viewer so close.

So not "marmite" for me, just another thought provoking image from Steve

Thank you so much for sharing,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, its all about the EYE here and its so sharp and detailed that one forgets the minor nits of OOF twigs and tightness of the frame. A finely processed image with that gaze making this work well. TFS Steve.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like you did very well in this situation. The detail looks great. Nice view of that eye the little squiggly line is very neat. Is iso 250 a typo? Is that suspose to be 2500? Framing is nice as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is iso 250 a typo? Is that suspose to be 2500?
    You win the 'Start prize' this week John, yes a typo.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love that eye but not that stick. I'd have gotten on the tripod and went 1000mm and a high ISO :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.