Thread: Snowy Owl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snowy Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

Things are absolutely dead here in Cape Breton- all the birds have migrated through and I am now just waiting for the winter birds to arrive.
    I have been looking through old EHD's and found this image from 2013 in Ottawa. That was the irruption year for the snowy owls.
    The owl was baited.(The baiting debate was just becoming mainstream in 2012. I would not do it again but I was young and foolish at the time. The worst part is that I have fabulous images from that shoot but am reluctant to post them.)
    Weather was awful with sleet and icy rain but it gave us some cool, unusual lighting conditions.The icy sleet formed an icy crust on top of the snow. The light was very blue and I did correct the color balance to what I remember conditions to be .
    Canon 1 DX 600 mm F 6.3 SS 1/2000 ISO 1600
    Crop to 65% FF
    Nothing added or cloned.
    Comments and critiques always learned from and appreciated with thanks,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail:

Well, I understand one's reluctance about the baiting issue, but the picture is great. High key, with a high key subject, works well here, subtle shadow from bird gives a little more depth/context. Excellent eye contact. Like the comp.

Do hope to see some more!

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

3. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Young and foolish works for me. Gorgeous image, with great comp and exposure, flight pose. Keep 'em coming.

5. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well i would love to see more espcially if they are better than this. Great pose. Love those eyes against all that white.

7. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice frame... The only problem I have with baiting is that one can get the same
    photos with fieldwork and patience, Just seems lazy to me.
    Kids feed the ducks at the pond where I shoot, kind of the same thing as the ducks get really tame.
    Seems harmless but I suppose that some people may oppose that.
    I would try to bring out the FG a bit more for more definition and more of a frame anchor.
    Dan Kearl

9. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Simply sublime... more please... TFS

11. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot, such photogenic birds in the snow environment. Baiting? I avoid it but can imagine that it would take many hours/days to get a similar shot without baiting.

13. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

very nice frame Gail, a perfect shot, I have a couple just like this one from Ottawa but I have decided not to post them because of the baiting involved. I am ok with ethical and considerate baiting, after all these are feeder mice and if not an owl a snake will eat them....but at the end of the day it makes it much easier to get frames like this which I find less rewarding for me.

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

15. Thanks gail bisson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes to beyond spectacular. I even love the hint of a shadow/reflection below the bird. I am foolish but not young. Good to see the even-headed comments on baiting above. I have never baited owls but am not positive that it is a bad thing. I do disagree with Dan as far as getting similar images by being patient. To make an image like this without baiting you would need to be very lucky in one of your 100,000,000 lifetimes ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

About as perfect as it gets... I thank you for you comments regarding baiting and this image. I have personal feelings and don't think I would enjoy photography over bait introduced by man. My enjoyment is wandering around in natural areas and photographing the opportunities that arise. It gets me out, it keeps me moving, at my age that's important. Enough said... Thank you for sharing, Gail.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A stunning image Gail. Exposure looks spot on to my eyes. Wing position and eye contact are exceptional.
    Robert Kimbrell

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Baiting or not, it still takes skill and planning to get images that standout from the others, and this one does just that. I do remember that morning well, with a fun drive on ice-covered roads and same for walking on the ice-encrusted field! The wingspread is excellent, but I love the hint of ice at the bottom.