Thread: White-tail buck

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-tail buck

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 10/11/19 at 6:16PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 12,800
    f6.3
    1/200sec

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, a good specimen here with those solid antlers and HA with nice green environs. Good colours and use of that high ISO.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot John, pretty high ISO, i think it would be possible to reduce the noise some more without losing detail and perhaps add a little more toning here and there. I have had a look at the jpeg but I am pretty confident the raw would produce better results WDYT?

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello John,

Like I said in my previous comment, really like your inclusion of the environment in your images. Lovely alert pose from this young buck and the high ISO not an issue at all:)

A couple of things, I would eliminate the green cast/reflection on the whites in the subject's fur as it is quite obvious. A slight curve adjustment would add a little more 'pop' to the subject.

That look back and eye contact make this image for me, well seen and captured. Well exposed too. Maybe add a slight blur to the FG, WDYT?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think John you need to remember that you are at your maximum here in terms of capture, so just be mindful.

I think the framing works and position in frame with the head to camera. Grasses are a tad distracting, but natural and not much you can do, albeit a little clean up would help. Curious why you shot with the 5D3 and not the 5D4? Overall the image a appears thin, (a bit light) and both posts carry a bit of a colour cast, if you look for a mid grey John this I feel will help you and where you can then make use of the Colour management to tweak and hone the colours to more of a reflective appearance. Also if shot mid afternoon ie just after 4.00pm then the depth of colour may also be richer/deeper, WDYT?

The image does require a bit more NR to the BKG ad the subject a little coarse in it's appearance but that is down to the ISO and PP.

A slight curve adjustment would add a little more 'pop' to the subject.
    I agree Gabriela.

Maybe add a slight blur to the FG, WDYT?
    Keep as is I think Gabriela.

John, if you can engage in some feedback on the replies it is helpful and can be more constructive overall.

TFS
    Steve

7. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, this is where I started from to endeavour a more even RGB, giving me a +5 Temp and +11 Tint, a tad warmer and a bit more Magenta. Obviously a far more accurate reference point and setting can be achieved from the Raw, but then you can adjust further.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela,Jonathan and Steve.

Using the Canon 5D MarkIV with Macro and Landscape stuff lately. Decided to get the Canon 5D MarkIII out of the closet for some shooting on a whim one day. Been using it ever since.

I almost got a 50,50,50 reading. I think it was something like 49,50,48 or 48,50,49. Don't remember.

No noise reduction in original post.

Looks good.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John the 5D4 has 4 years more/better technology, so I would be hesitant to push it as much as the 3, but your call. Also software has improved too, so your images will be better if you keep to the 4 IMHO.