Thread: Spotted Hyena pup

Hybrid View

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spotted Hyena pup

Attached Images Attached Images

Another frame from a Hyena den we visited, this little one was just chilling just outside the den entrance, as the 'clan' had left to hunt. Just think at this age they have very distinctive features, some feel they are cute, but then wait until they reach Adulthood!!! Personally I would have liked a tad more below, just a wee bit tight for me. Yes Haseeb, 1/200SS, however if you can HH, then it can work.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Spotted Hyena cub (Crocuta crocuta) outside den
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400 f/4
    Exposure: 1/200s at f/9 ISO800 HH
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop from the top, almost FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Steve,

He is so cute And innocent looking, you just want to pick him up and cuddle him

Image well exposed despite challenging lighting conditions and colours are really nice. I like the soft light here, initially thought the frame was captured early morning but you mentioned the clan left to hunt so I assume it was late afternoon.

Lovely relaxed pose from this little one with paws stretched forward and chin up as if he is sniffling something - Spotted Hyenas are highly alert from an early age, as soon as they hear unfamiliar sounds they disappear into the den.

Framing works for me, like you said a tad below would have been ideal, but not a big issue. Great choice of DoF. Face is sharp with some lovely detail and the BG is super smooth.

Really glad to see you have more Hyena images, this is a real gem Thank you so much for sharing, a pleasure to view!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You can see the 'dog like' features I feel at this age Gabriela, then lost in the adults, but I know you do like these animals. Lots of distractions around, mainly grass so zoomed it a bit more, yes rookie error on not having enough below!!!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love them, Steve. Gained a huge amount of respect for them over the years. Fearless and persistent, inquisitive and bold. Great mothers too. And yes, cunning
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

First off where are the polar bears? Detail looks great. The room below you already addressed. Like the spot light hitting the cub. Sharpness is killer.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

First off where are the polar bears?
    Hibernating John , but hope I might be able to coax a few out in the next week...

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another fine shot Steve, close inspection reveals how carefully you process and think before posting. Perhaps I will remember the lesson to sit on an image and look again before I post, it usually goes through my mind but too often I am anxious to post..
    The image is just about noise free and the details in all tones are there- pretty good!

I am sure there would be a workaround to use content aware to stretch the whole image and then deselect the hyena so the stretch was to the base without affecting the rest of the image, that way the increased base would not look as though content aware had been used purely on the base -where it would look apparent.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, a nice shot of the Hyena, with the curious head pose and those toes pointing straight at us. Nice handling of the light. TFS.