Thread: Young Pied Billed Grebe with larger night crawler

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Young Pied Billed Grebe with larger night crawler

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot in Nd slough.My wish is to have the head turned away a bit,so the worm wouldn't have intersected the grebes body. Processed with Dpp 4 Photoshop,neat image.Comments and critiques appreciated.

Canon 5D Mark 1V
    500 f/4 L IS
    700 mm
    Av 5.6
    1/2000
    ISO 2000

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a catch Kevin!Beautiful light and colors and a well exposed scene. The worm is such a nice addition and a unique one at that! I don't mind to much that the worm intersects with the body as the head angle is perfect in all other regards. You might have gotten a better sun angle and less shadows in the face with the head turned slight away though which would have been nice. I think it looks a little to contrasty as is now. The colors are a little bit exaggerated even if it is early sunrise/or sunset. I would also try a more conventional crop with a tad more to the right and by removing some on the right. I would also clone the little bubble at the end of the blue waves. But these are nits on a very nice frame indded!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beauty of a show, with great POV and spectacular FG/BG. Worm a big plus. I don't think I would have noticed the overlap if you hadn't mentioned it. I suppose in a perfect world, slightly less of a head turn, by a few millimeters, would have been good. I agree it feels a little contrasty and saturated. I wasn't there, so no way to know if it really looked like this or if you applied a bit of enhancement.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the color in that water. The prey is very neat. I see these birds alot in the spring. Never have seen on with a night crawler.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful fall frame! Lighting and color are sublime, and the worm is really nice touch. I think head angle is perfect; it's super engaging with him looking right at us. Would love to see him moved slight right, ideally to get entire bit of blue ring to bird's left.