Thread: Wood duck in autumn

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wood duck in autumn

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm back! I've been shooting when I can, but I've been otherwise hung up a bit with other things, so please forgive my lack of presence here. I wanted to know your thoughts on this shot I took this morning of a male wood duck swimming in a local pond that reflected all the beautiful fall colours we have right now. They are quite used to people and will usually approach to see if you're going to feed them. I didn't have any grapes or corn with me, but they still stuck around and took some portrait frames, as well as a few front-end verticals. I thought this one had the best water out of all.

Thanks and enjoy the fall season!
    Jake Levin

5D mkIV, 500mm f/4 IS lens, tripod mounted
    1/3200 @ f/7.1, ISO 1600
    Cropped to 16:9 in Photoshop, some water clean-up, and touched up the highlights.
    Laval, Québec

Threads
    Thank You Posts

These guys a great at this time of year, and we're fortunate here too with a great spot for habituated Wood Ducks. Great looking image. I'd be OK with more above if you have it and if the water is just as nice beyond the frame. Good subtle very head turn our way. Perhaps a touch contrasty, but not overwhelmingly so.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nicely captured, Jake. Love the rich colors throughout, and the quality of the reflected leaves in water.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking good Jake and welcome back. Lovely colours throughout, but, like Dan, I see it too contrasty. Great pose on the bird, nice HA and the water looks fab.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jake:

Great water, nice head turn. It doesn't get much better than a mail wood duck in the fall.

Do agree about the contrast, back it off just a bit.

Please feel free to post a larger image. I like around 1600 on the long axis, shows off the details nicely.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton