Thread: Cape buffalo and Ox Pecker

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cape buffalo and Ox Pecker

Attached Images Attached Images

Simple frame of a Cape Buffalo shot in the afternoon. I hadn't seen the OX pecker until after taking the frame and by which time it flew off, if I had, I would have moved a fraction to the left to avoid the intersection of the horn & tail. I had to add Ox Pecker into the title as the system kept adding a previous title, DOH!

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Cape buffalo (Syncerus caffer)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400 f/4
    Exposure: 1/500s at f/7.1 ISO400 bean bag and Uniqball head
    Original format: Portrait, slight crop from the top FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good evening Steve,

Very nice frame, not sure how simple it is but certainly effective and quite engaging too The first thought that came to mind when I opened the thumbnail was 'really like the colours here, spot on'. And good choice of DoF, subject is nice and sharp from muzzle to the tip of the horns.

I like the little Oxpecker too, adds a bit of interest. He might have flown onto the back of the Buffalo while you were busy shooting LOL, those birds are always around. Were there many Buffaloes at the scene? Not always easy to capture images of them because they tend to stick together, glad you managed to isolate this one from the herd.

Gorgeous light and beautiful detail, PP work is superb. I enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing, Steve.

PS This reminds me, on Sunday I was on my way home from the Reserve when I noticed on the side of the road an old Dagga Boy with a massive boss. Grabbed some gear and tried to get a shot or two in that beautiful afternoon light but the camera refused to cooperate. I soon realised I had not one memory card in the slots, took them out to format them and forgot to put them back
    By the time I rectified the situation it was too late, the animal turned around and was grazing peacefully

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice head on portrait of this buffalo. The vertical framing is nice. The oxpecker is a nice touch. Gives some nice color to the frame. Detail looks great. Those are some big ears.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My first reaction was in keeping with your comment regarding oxpecker - nevertheless still looks pretty good. I am guessing that is another buffalo in the background, a little unfortunate but not a deal breaker as the saying goes. I am a little surprised you haven't introduced a little faint burning at the base, so long as it is subtle I think it would help. The head and boss of the buffalo look outstanding!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- I really liked the colours in the buffalo and tones, nicely exposed. Excellent IQ as always and the oxpecker adds to the image. Agree with your self critique but as per your intro I believe it was not possible to get that adjustment all of a sudden. At first i didint liked that twig in FG closer to the mouth but after seeing it a while I feel it is fine to have it in the frame. Nice choice on DOF but always better to have a higher ss on this big tele.

Nicely done, TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am a little surprised you haven't introduced a little faint burning at the base, so long as it is subtle I think it would help.
    I'm OK with it Jon as the sun is direct into the face of the subject an so the grass I feel would be that bright.

At first i didint liked that twig in FG closer to the mouth but after seeing it a while I feel it is fine to have it in the frame.
    No ideal Haseeb as you say, but that's nature.