Thread: American White Ibis... Breeding Colors

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American White Ibis... Breeding Colors

Attached Images Attached Images

My previous post was a American White Ibis as it appears most of the year. This post is when it is breeding colors in April and March. The tip of the bill blackens, the gular sac enlarges and the face turns cherry red. Image captured at Lake Morton in Lakeland, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, image captured at 400mm
    1/1250 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 900 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped for composition and presentation

P.S. Learn more about Lake Morton in the BAA Middle Florida Photography Site Guide that Artie and I co-authored. It is available on the Birds As Art Online Store.
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 10-07-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another JP classic. Love the pose, SH and direction of light with fall off of light and focus accentuating the journey to that eye/face. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this, despite the fact that the near side of the body is in shadow.
    The breeding colors are superb.
    Whites look good.
    I still think I would like this better if you had been on the other side of the bird.
    The color palette is really nice- especially how the blue eye picks up the blue in the BG.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The breeding colors are great. Like the framing and the detail on those whites. Blue water background is another plus.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    I like this, despite the fact that the near side of the body is in shadow.
    The breeding colors are superb.
    Whites look good.
    I still think I would like this better if you had been on the other side of the bird.
    The color palette is really nice- especially how the blue eye picks up the blue in the BG.
    Gail
    Hey Gail, thank you for viewing and commenting, much appreciated. I do have this one but I did not post because the membrane over part of the eye bugs me.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer bird and techs and processing are spot-on. I do not even hate the sidelight in Pane 1. Why? Because the light is so soft.

with love, artie

ps: if you'd like to visit Lake Morton, Circle Bar B, other great Lakeland locations, and a few more great spots, check out The BAA Middle of Florida Site Guide that I co-wrote and co-illustrated with Joe.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like both shots. I think the membrane on the second post shuld be an easy fix with a bit of cloning.
    I too think that you have exposed and prossesed these perfectly. Plenty of detail in the whites and a beautiful light. I also noticed how the eye compliments the color of the background which is nice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. I love the layered feathers at bottom right. Gorgeous blues, and I like the details in the skin texture.