Thread: White-tail buck

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-tail buck

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 9/11/19 at 7:05PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 6400
    f6.3
    1/200sec

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi John, it's quite a nice portrait, but personally I much prefer your previous ones where the subject is smaller in frame, but has that gorgeous habitat/environment.

As presented I initially thought f/6.3 might have been too little and going to say f/8 might have been better, however I think a bit more sharpening on the muzzle is all it needs? OK viewing on the laptop, but again I wonder if going slightly cooler in Temp may offer a better balance, but I can't help wonder if you pushed the saturation in the BKG so the colour leaches into the whites of the fur, something like -80 Green/-45 Aqua (figures optional) starts to neutralise the fur, WDYT????? I also feel a tad off the top helps. Good detail for the high ISO.

Not sure if the attached helps, but you may feel it is a bit too muted, let me know.

Cheers
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve.

No saturation pushed here. Decreased luminance and saturation. Yes to me your version is way to muted in the colors.

Why can't you use a laptop?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Why can't you use a laptop?
    As the screen tilts you can never really get it looking right, plus you have ambient light coming from all sides that clouds judgement IMHO.

No saturation pushed here. Decreased luminance and saturation.
    OK, so I'm just curious where the colour is coming from in the whites of the fur as I would assume it's like an 'off white'.?

In LR John what is the Profile set to in the basic panel, ie Standard, Landscape...?

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello John,

I like this portrait very much but do agree with Steve, those recent images of yours which include a bit of environment are even more 'charming'

Subject looks good with nice detail and I love the pose and eye contact. I am amazed how close you get to your subjects and you must be really patient to get the right HA each and every time - lovely work!

Regarding whites in the coat (chin) where the green tinge is visible, Steve might remember I had the same issue with a leopard image a few years ago. Still blame it on the green vegetation/grass the leopard was walking on as I do not have another explanation. I think in certain light the grass may reflect this green colour cast which I personally prefer to remove during PP work:)

Happy with the subject as is but I quite like the more 'muted' BG in Steve's RP. If you work with layers in PP you should be able to make changes on the subject (curves etc) without affecting the BG.

Hope you have a lovely afternoon, thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

6. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post

OK, so I'm just curious where the colour is coming from in the whites of the fur as I would assume it's like an 'off white'.?

In LR John what is the Profile set to in the basic panel, ie Standard, Landscape...?
    Yes off white. Some are more gray than white depends on the deer.

Always have it set to standard. They is no more faithful.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Always have it set to standard. They is no more faithful.
    OK, this is where things can go 'pair shaped' so take it with a pinch of salt... If you do get your mid grey balance, you could try changing the Profile - Portrait (does change much, or landscape then tweak the Temp, Tint etc and or WB Custom setting, but John you have to be sensitive to the changes as it could just take you way off the original capture, again a balancing act, just a thought.

Standard is alway a good start and tends to offer a more 'Standard' overall colour profile, with little or no strong biases in colour, so if you feel comfortable in your Workflow just keep it that way until you feel more comfortable in Colour management because it is all about tweaks both Global & Selective in LR & PS.

However, I just can't see where you are getting these colour casts.

9. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post