Thread: Indian Leopard !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Indian Leopard !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone, thank you for all your comments and suggestions to my previous post , as always much appreciated.

Here is an image of Indian Leopard taken at Bandhavgarh in very low light conditions. Bandhavgarh being a Tiger dominated terrain , Leopards have always shied away from them and are seldom seen in open spaces. We were definitely lucky to sight this young leopard but the low lighting conditions were not ideal. A body like 1DX MK II comes to the rescue to at least salvage something from the situation.

DPP 4.8, PSCC 2019, WB, curves, selective colour, NR on bkg, sharpening, cropped from top and slightly from rhs.

Canon 1DX MK II, canon 200-400mm f4 @560mm, Bean Bag.

ss 1/60, f/5.6, iso 12800.

Looking forward for all your comments and suggestions, be it of any nature.

Haseeb.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Haseeb,

This is super special, a real treat to see and photograph an Indian Leopard! Cannot recollect seeing one here on BPN...so a first for me

Very glad you did your best to capture the moment and I must say those beautiful eyes looking straight into your lens make up for any issue arising from poor lighting conditions:)

Without actually having seen the species I still feel the colours look about right and the drinking pose with tongue touching the water surface is just lovely. Very well framed and it's great that you managed to include the tail. Well exposed too.

Pleased to see the face is sharp at 1/60s and I cannot emphasise enough the impact of those those magnificent eyes - they remain the centre of my attention:)

Nothing comes to mind in terms of PP, I think you did well. I would probably try enhance the colour of those leaves and remove bits and bobs here and there ( twigs etc. above the subject) for a cleaner frame.

Love the golden coat and those oversized paws - is it a boy leopard? Looks fairly young too. I think I'll have another look at the week-end, also looking forward to what the members and Steve have to say.

Precious sighting Haseeb. Many thanks for sharing, and if you have more I would love to see!

Hope you have a lovely week-end,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm sure you were thrilled with this sighting. Nice to catch the leopard drinking. Image quality looks great for the high ISO and the slow shutter speed. The light was against you but you handled it very well.

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, as John said, I bet your were thrilled with this encounter, perfect positioning.

Love the framing and the way you have off set the subject to the RHS with the tail off to the left, very accommodating Leopard. Perfect timing with the tongue (bet you shot a few to get this ), and the eyes are priceless, especially looking towards you.

Techs - always hard, but glad it didn't put you off getting the shot. Hard to say too much without seeing the raw at this ISO, plus I'm away, so viewing on laptop., so... taking a stab I might add some more NR and ease on the Blacks. Try and get some more tonal range in the water to add depth. With the light being so elusive perhaps the colours are flat, but you may here just add some Vib or Sat???

TFS
    Steve

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela, John and Steve, your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

@ Gabriela -- I do have a couple of more images from this sighting , though not ideal bkg but would definitely share here.

@ Steve -- your RP was definitely an improvement.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot Haseeb, I will be on the lookout for these boys in a couple of weeks! Image quality looks good, I would not have guessed ISO 12800. We have all said it but it's true - those eyes !!
    Steve's suggestion is a good one, I must admit I often think about any water in my images but it hadn't occurred to me in this one.

10. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Jon . All the best for your trip.