Thread: The 'Brute'

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The 'Brute'

Attached Images Attached Images

OK Jon, this is the very first Polar bear we saw/found on the first day, talk about luck.

He had been resting on a small rocky island, we parked up about 800m away so he got used to our presence, sound and smells, but every now and then he would pop his head up, look around, sniff the air and then go back to sleep. Then after around 3 hours he stirred, got up, had a few stretches, yawns and then abled down to the edge of the island and eased himself into the water, all done with a nice glacier as the backdrop.

Zodiacs deployed, we shadowed him for over and hour, by which time I reckon he swam about 3kms, but we always kept a healthy distance, not crowding or strayed into his comfort zone. He then emerged from the water and proceed to walk along the undulating shore line and placed himself on a point overlooking the bay, us and was also above us too.

500mm with the 1.4 for close up, 100-400 for wider aspects, all shot from a moving zodiac, the zodiac could never be still, just in case...

A little tight at the foot yes, but here, I was thinking more about the texture and trying to emphasise the sheer size of this beast and tried to avoid popping the 1.4 on & off. The BKG is the snow cap mountains. Could the two stones go, yes, but I left them in.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear lying down
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500 f/4 MKII with 1.4 MKIII
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO1600
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop from the top FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is very different from your previous Polar Bear images Steve, and having read your intro carefully I now understand your reasons for composing and presenting the subject in this way. At first I thought the stones should go...but my next thought was, they are quite useful as they offer some 'ground' to the bear ( the viewer can see he is lying down) and add more balance to the frame overall.

And I agree with you, a little tight at the bottom and would have liked to see the paws of course but then the snow capped mountain would be gone. You compromised. And I am certain you have a great number of images from this scene, those three hours mean plenty time to play around and try different things.

Interesting lighting here and I love the colours. Detail - as well as those textures in the wet fur - is superb. Techs spot on as usual. I like this a lot, let's not forget clarity and IQ. PP work is impeccable.

So I enjoyed viewing, very much. As well as thinking about...what you were thinking when capturing the scene BTW... title is well chosen!

Many thanks for sharing, Steve.

Warmest regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 10-02-2019 at 03:50 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The detail and texture in the fur looks great. Nice the bear is pretty parallel to you. Like the framing as is. Sounds like quite the experience and right off the bat at that.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am a little confused by your narrative, if you had a smaller lens attached to a camera why didn't you use it? It's a fine shot.....but the paws are missing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks.

if you had a smaller lens attached to a camera why didn't you use it?
    I did Jon, but all in good time, I like to stagger my images, not flood them... as I said, I wanted to emphasise the texture and size as I have never seen anyone else post PB before as such close quarters, however I could live with a bit moire paw but not all, as I feel the bear is actually resting on the frame, just my take.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- What a portrait. I am in awe with those details in your subject. Great field work with the exposure, details and colour. Though I would have loved to include those paws and in the process might have compromised with the snow capped peaks.

I really enjoyed this brute of a Bear, TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Indeed Haseeb, but as I said earlier, hopefully I will post something that might 'deliver' what you and Jon are looking for, but for now I will try to be more diverse in my postings.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am glad to gather you have more images Steve, ......can't wait to see the good ones (only kidding!)