Thread: Common Buckeye

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Buckeye

Attached Images Attached Images

This is my first post in Macro and Flora and I'm sure most, as was I, stopped in my tracks while out in a local grassland preserve looking for birds. When this remarkably marked butterfly landed on a Goldenrod plant I just started taking pictures of as many angles as possible. Obviously this was my first encounter with the Common Buckeye butterfly. It's nice to see a number of familiar names from other forums, mostly Avian as well as Wildlife. Good to see all the quality work of the familiar and new names in this forum. I'm always interested in researching and finding new information re the subject and much to be learned about the not so common Common Buckeye. I did find out that they will be up here, central NJ and as far north as southern Canada ( for their favorite blooming plants), for a while until the weather turns cooler, then head back south. C&C welcome.

D500, 500PF + 1.4 TC III, 1/2000s, f 8.0, ISO 1000, Hand Held

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The light is what it is. The composition looks nice. The eye on the butterfly looks a little soft. The common buckeye is my favorite butterfly.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the composition with some negative space on left. Colors look good. The eye is not too soft, so it can be sharpened. the details look good on wings that are sharp.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey and welcome to Macro, I hope we can persuade you to keep on posting here!
    You did pretty darned good with that macro lens! It's not the easiest of things to do with such a long lens but you did a pretty god job. When the butterfly is in a pose like that the you will hardly ever have ideal DOF unless you stack and that of course is a different ball game. You have areas that are well focused and that has resulted in a very attractive image.. hey - got some more??

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Hi Geoffrey and welcome to Macro, I hope we can persuade you to keep on posting here!
    You did pretty darned good with that macro lens! It's not the easiest of things to do with such a long lens but you did a pretty god job. When the butterfly is in a pose like that the you will hardly ever have ideal DOF unless you stack and that of course is a different ball game. You have areas that are well focused and that has resulted in a very attractive image.. hey - got some more??
    Thanks Jonathan. I agree with your critique especially re stacking. Yes I do have more of the Common Buckeye.

Geoffrey

Last edited by Geoffrey Montagu; 10-09-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John and Ravi. I think the eye could use a bit more sharpening also.

Geoffrey