Thread: Tiger walkabout

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tiger walkabout

Attached Images Attached Images

I make no apologies for photographing the subject on a road, like in Africa, these magnificent animals use them as highways just as we do, soft under foot and SILENT to the tread.

This gorgeous female was on route to a small herd of Buffalo, but sadly due to her inexperience messed up the kill and was subsequently chased away by the Buffalo 9local cattle). As haseeb & sanjeev know, it is so hard to get a lower POV from the Gipsy jeep, but here I wanted to also include some of the habitat in the BKG as she walked along. Light was a nightmare with dapple light and strong HL's breaking through the foliage.

Note for Jon A, when tracking in the VF, shoot when the eyes are open!!!

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Tiger (Panthera tigris) walking along track
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 100-400 f/4.5 MKII
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/7.1 ISO3200
    Original format: Portrait, slight crop from the top, FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you Steve,

Beautiful tiger female in great condition, don't you just love the size of these paws? Nice walking pose with the R front foot off the ground and tail in the air... cat on a mission

I certainly don't mind the road...And you are correct, those big cats use it because it's soft to the paws and silent...Also, no hidden dangers like snakes and scorpions.

Framing is great with subject positioned slightly off centre, head turned to the side. Magnificent eyes. A confident female and I gather she was aware of your presence but felt no threat whatsoever, curious how comfortable she was and how close she got to the vehicle?

Regarding dappled light, a photographer's a nightmare but you knew how to handle it, subject is perfectly exposed and the rest handled in PP work Beautiful detail and colours and I love the vibrance and 'sunny' mood here... somewhat in contrast with her mood after having been chased by the buffalo...

She looks young by the way...any idea of her age?

I have more questions but will drop you an email soon. Enjoyed viewing as well as reading the intro, many thanks for sharing, Steve. Hope you have more for us from this trip

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Gabriela, your words are priceless and everyone appreciates your participation

Please do, we are back now. ��

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Steve, email on its way
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

No apologies needed. The detail on the tiger looks great. The walking pose is nice. You handled the light very well. Is it possible to tone down the bright highlights on the right? Or is that the way she goes. The vertical framing is nice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Steve, email on its way
    Hope I clarified your question.

Is it possible to tone down the bright highlights on the right?
    Everything is possible John, it's whether the adjustment looks right and if I change one, I might need to change them all to keep the balance, if you know what I mean?

7. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve I usually do keep my eyes open when in continuous AF.. only kidding!

Super shot, the tiger is extremely well presented and the raised paw is a nice inclusion. As usual the highlights and shadows are very well controlled but I think that the big band central RHS could be toned down with some of the others just a little, a little masking and brushing to make it less obvious .....I am sure it is possible. I don't find them objectionable but I would prefer the big band being a little less dominant in the frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- A very nice specimen of the Tiger and I liked the walking pose with its tail slightly raised. I think you have done extremely well to expose it correctly and get those details as this kind of lighting condition makes for exposure errors , especially in the whites. I don't like those tyre tracks but nothing you could have done here as these tracks are used by vehicles and animals all the time. Well yes, it gets difficult to get the low shooting angle especially when the tiger is approaching you as the vehicles are not ideal here in India to get those low angles all the time. It definitely would have been more aesthetically pleasing with a low angle but still you made most of the situation.

A nice Tiger image with good colours in the Tiger and lighting has been handled superbly well.

TFS !