Thread: Spotted Hyena Cub

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spotted Hyena Cub

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

Here is another image from my recent trip in the Kruger Park. Little Spotty was just leaving the den and pondering whether to play with one of his older siblings or lie down next to Mom... A slightly overcast but rather warm morning and the clan members were relaxing under a bush or nearby tree, completely relaxed in our presence

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 mm F4
    ISO 1600
    F6.3
    1/1250s

Image taken from vehicle with bean bag as support. Processed in LR and PSCC. Cropped about 40% of the frame, mostly because of the vegetation. Dealt as much as I could with those bright grasses - not the ideal setting but such is the environment...Still, so nice to see a hyena cub

Hope you all have a wonderful week-end, and thank you so much for viewing as well as comments on my previous images

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I like it very much, the angle appears to be lower than you indicate. Cute little thing - but not for long! i don't know if you darkened the lowest foreground, but if you did I think good idea but not quite so much.
    I agree about the grasses being a little bright - I have made a version toning them down a little for you to consider (I used TK masks - No 6 Highlights - nothing else.)

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, love the cuteness here and the fact it's in some habit with bits of grass attached to its fur. Nice POV and feel it's well framed with good space all round. DoF works as the rear of the pup tails off into the BKG and so all you have is the head to focus on, techs look good too.

May be some less Contrast/Black in the original conversion and using some more Mid tone Curves, but I'm OK on the slightly lighter areas, albeit I know where Jon is coming from, but somehow there is a colour shift in the overall RP and I think it's a little coarse in parts, but that is just my take. I might go a little cooler, but you were there, however and again personal choice, I would loose the blue in the eyes.

TFS
    Steve

PS What was he looking at, as he maybe feeling a bit fruity!!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Jon and Steve for your kind comments and RP as well as suggestions

Jon, I suspect the den was an old drainage pipe under the road. This little cub was at first shy to cross the road on its own but eventually became bold enough to walk past the vehicle, head bobbing up and down and body close to the ground. From what we could see there were a few subadults and two older females, all lying around and so chilled, some never got up or even gave us a glance. One subadult did come to investigate and I could see he was trying to chew on the front tyre. We had to start the vehicle once or twice to keep him away but he kept returning. I do not think they've been fed though, their den was far from the camp. They are just such inquisitive creatures and unafraid of humans which makes them fantastic subjects to photograph.

And thank you for RP Jon, nice and subtle and grasses look better. Cannot remember if I darkened the FG, will have to check

Steve, many thanks as always for your input - I did lessen contrast in LR but it seems not enough:) Will try go cooler and see what it looks like, or maybe post another one processed differently. I have a few images of this cub, in some I completely removed the bluesin the eyes and in others I didn't. Just felt the eyes had more 'life' in them with that bit of blue, but I could be wrong.
    Fruity yes, I think a mix of fear and excitement

Hope you both have a wonderful afternoon,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this cub. Like the setting it is in with all the dry grass. The pose is nice as is the detail. Composition looks right on. Nice to see one of your images in here. Welcome back.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much for warm welcome John, and so glad you enjoyed this cutie.

Like Jon said, they are not cute for long Born with teeth and an attitude, stubborn and persistent in everything they do.

What really amazes me is that mothers and aunties are so patient with the cubs, I have never seen them growl or snarl at the little ones and should they wander around they pick them up gently and carry them back to the den. Lionesses do lose their patience...

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea