Thread: Polar bear cub

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Polar bear cub

Attached Images Attached Images

This lovely Polar bear cub, (probably from this year) was just so cute!!! Shot wide to bring in the habitat, you can see the undulating pack ice they roam on and the flat light of the day with the horizon. Caught the dial on the back, hence the low SS, but thankfully it didn't hurt the image.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear (Ursus maritimus) cub on the pack ice
    Camera: Canon 5D MKIV
    Lens: 100-400 f/4.5 MKII
    Exposure: 1/320s at f/7.1 ISO1250
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop from the top FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Steve,

Cub is adorable, just look at those mischievous eyes! Very well composed and I like the habitat and its colours. Subject stands out beautifully and pose is superb... Very glad the low SS did not affect the image

I keep wondering what it is like out there, must be a very silent world. Was this little one alone or with his mother? And were there any siblings present?

Sweet image Steve, this must be one of your favourite moments from the trip and for me such a pleasure to view - many thanks for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- I really liked the pose and a bit wider perspective. You did get away with the ss ! Again excellent details and nice PP work as always.
    Wow, i must say this is some image, i don't find anything to be improved upon , very nicely done.

TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Technically super and I like the image. I appreciate you have presented precisely what you intended but I cannot help but feel I wish the bear was a little bigger in the frame. I think that the super detail in the fur leaves me wanting more i.e. I want to see a little more in the bear's face and this would only be achieved by increasing magnification. I suspect I am alone in this view so don't get hung up on it

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I want to see a little more in the bear's face and this would only be achieved by increasing magnification.
    LOL Jon, I got my butt chewed for going too tight, I then go wider and folk want tighter...

I just feel it's now EVEN more important to include habitat and going even smaller in frame. However, I will at some point deliver what you are asking, but when I'm not sure as things are so quiet here and recently folk are posting images and not commenting.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this cub. Like the environment here with all that ice. My first thought was that's a slow shutter speed and low ISO for Steve. But you explained that. Nice pose this little one gave you. Very nice frame overall.