Attached Images Attached Images

Taken last evening in DFC light...
    D500, 420mm (300 w/ 1.4), f4, 1/2500, iso900
    1DS_3630bpn.jpg
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

These guys are super speedy, so you did well to get this in full extension. I'd ideally like to be at 1/3200 or 1/4000 for this sort of shot, but 1/2500 got the job done nicely here. The white on the face is certainly a bit hot, but the rest of the bird looks well exposed. How heavy a crop is this? I ask because I've noticed that all of your shots are like 90% of the way there with respect to sharpness/detail, and I'm wondering what you're asking from the crop. The flying green heron from the other day, for example. The head is in focus, but the frame as presented lacks critical sharpness and fine feather detail. I feel the same way about this one; its really nice but needs slightly better detail to be fully cracking. I know ISO is an issue at your pond, but this was at a 900, which shouldn't be an issue. You might be running up against the limits of your gear on all these frames as well. If these are all heavy crops, then you're gonna need to find a way to put more pixels on the subject. 420mm is pretty short, and I cannot help imagine what these with look like if taken with a 500 or 600. I don't mention this so much to be critical as to figure out what we can do to get all your shots a bit sharper/cleaner across because they're artistically some of the best on the board. So, just something to think about....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dorian,
    Thanks for the thoughtful comment and I totally understand what you are saying.
    Some of mine are larger crops than I should, most are just very high iso.
    This one was not but was a bit underexposed.
    Mostly it is just that I do not take this that serious. I shoot almost everyday and I
    am very fortunate to have subjects to shoot everyday.
    I usually come home with a dozen or so pretty decent flight photos, process a couple quickly and move on.
    My processing involves about 5 minutes or so on just a few each day.
    I wish more people would post more and do the same......
    I do have a 500pf that I shoot with but I can shoot f4 at 420mm and that one stop makes
    a big difference where I shoot.
    Last edited by dankearl; 09-22-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I understand what you're saying. I just operate very differently, mostly because I'm completely unable to do anything without being an obsessive perfectionist. It's no wonder I'm an alcoholic/addict; I need to do everything at
    volume/speed 11.

As for posting philosophy, I'd rather see people post less and have it it be better! I'm honestly over shots with intersecting branches, clipped wings, lack of eye contact, high angles, and other stuff comments won't fix (you suffer from none of those). I use this board mostly for processing advice since I think I have a functional grasp on the in-camera part of it. I hope my shots are the worst on the board because seeing stuff better than my own inspires me to improve. But that's back to point #1 above!

I've found myself gravitating elsewhere - Instagram, e.g. - because the collective quality of work is higher than this board. I came to this BPN party a bit late, and I think we've recently lost some really valuable people who offered great insight. This is one of the ONLY places to get honest and critical feedback, so that's why I stick around,

If anyone else reads this, we're probably in for big discussion!
    Last edited by Dorian Anderson; 09-22-2019 at 06:57 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a lovely shot Dan! I agree with Dorian on the hot whites. I wish the HA was slightly better too. I like the wing position.

Just to add to this discussion, I too would prefer less posts and more attention to detail. I certainly am guilty of posting pictures that aren't well-processed or have flaws in my over-enthusiasm to share what I've recently captured. There's nothing wrong with posting many pictures as there's always something to be learned, but quality trumps quantity IMO. It's a very interesting topic for sure with many differing opinions.
    Last edited by Aditya Sridhar; 09-23-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the sheen on the head. The background is not as great as your others. But i would take this anyday.

I try to post on here everyday. Not so lately. I know most of my images are snapshots compared to the pros on here. I like the feed back and the interaction between the members, I always learn something new.