Thread: Bring on the Tigers....

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bring on the Tigers....

Attached Images Attached Images

Inspired by Haseebs posting, I thought I would take a rest from processing images from Svalbard and look at what I haven't processed in terms of my Tiger trip. In addition' Haseeb this was shot with the 100-400 as you were asking about it and how good it is, plus this is shot at ISO 8000k with the 1DX MKII!

This was taken when two young cubs emerged from the thicket, his sister scented the bushes prior, he then followed to sniff the leaves, then turn to us and gave the Flehmen response, - 'in which an animal curls back its upper lip exposing its front teeth, inhales with the nostrils usually closed, and then often holds this position for several seconds'.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Tiger (Panthera tigris) illustrating the Flehmen response
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 100-400 f/4.5 MKII
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO8000
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop from the top and RHS
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve — Corker ! what’s not there to like in this image. I absolutely loved it. Brilliantly processed and excellent field craft as always. Loved the flehmen against that clean backdrop and oh so marvellous finer details , cant believe it is an ISO 8K shot. The only thing I didn’t liked is your copyright info’s placement. I would really love to get something similar although I have flehmen display shots but not such good quality and backdrop.

Absolutely loved it . And I doubt that the 100-400 is that good , it is the man behind it that has produced this gem of an image.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great view of that tongue. The detail looks great also like the background. High ISO image qaulity is killer as usual. I do not like water marks. My eye is drawn right to them. I understand why the are there.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Steve

Glad to be back, and finally after some unpacking and cleaning of camping equipment I am able to spend some time viewing latest images in our Forum

This is a beautiful tiger portrait and the thumbnail caught my eye immediately. Superb colours and IQ is great despite high ISO. Wonderful detail and sharpness. Exposure is spot on.

I really like the composition here and especially OOF vegetation on the LHS which adds balance to the frame. Pose is wonderful and includes a behaviour element not often seen from the species. Those yes are magnificent.

Such beautiful animal, I have yet to see a tiger in the wild... Overall a well processed and well presented frame and I enjoyed viewing, tremendously. Thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a belter! All looks exceptionally good to me, the thing that really stands out so often in your images is the subjects eyes - just look at the detail in those iris!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Haseeb, means a lot as I know how much time you have put in over the years to photograph this subject, just nice when everything falls into place. Ironic that the ISO went from 19k to 1600 in matters of minutes. The main point is to get it well exposed and providing it's sharp then the rest is fairly easy, nothing complicated or gimmicks used, just some simple tweaks.

Thanks again Gabriela.

Will be looking for the same from you Jon in a few months time with that new kit, no excuses for not getting the exposure spot on with EVF and no camera shake with that lightweight kit.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry I am late on this one Steve. Yes, a superb shot of the Flehmen response, awesome detail and sharpness. Nice BG and oh those eyes! Nice one !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a face!!!