Thread: Polar Bear

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Polar Bear

Attached Images Attached Images

As I have said before, Polar bears are very curious and this one came right up, within meters of our ship. Here he is moving round towards the bow of the ship. This was one of the best days in terms of light sadly!!!

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Curious Polar bear on the pack ice
    Camera: Canon 5D MKIV
    Lens: 100-400 f/4.5 MKII
    Exposure: 1/2500s at f/7.1 ISO800
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop from the top FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 09-16-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

"A bit of all right" is what my grandpa would say when he was very impressed, well I reckon it's a bit of all right too! I like the way you have portrayed the snow in differing hues and the polar bear's fur is beautifully rendered and yet it is bright - not too bright. The slight askance pose from the bear is a nice touch as are the fine ice droplets emanating from the front paw. I cannot think of anything I would change in the image, a super shot Steve - can't wait for the next one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ...a technically very well executed frame. Love the overall color palette and the tonal range with lovely fine detail in ice and subject !! Superbly processed .

From the aesthetic POV , i think , you have posted better ones of PBīs .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm not sure what phrase to use corker or cracker? Either way outstanding frame. Killer detail all around. Really like the pose here. Light looks quite nice as well. Well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Loving the light here. Very nice details and exposure has been dealt with nicely. I only wish the Bear was more parallel to the sensor or atleast looking towards it, personal preference i guess.

Nicely done, TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Jon, an image I hoped would show this majestic of bears off quite well.

From the aesthetic POV , i think , you have posted better ones of PBīs .
    Perhaps, but give men time , however unlike any other animal, being on the same plane as this would/is a big no no as you know Andreas, as Safety is paramount. You have to make the most of any position on board ships they roam freely around, you then have to take what comes along with other togs who may have a better POV.

I only wish the Bear was more parallel to the sensor or atleast looking towards it
    Why Haseeb, as I'm probably shooting around 2 o'clock, slightly down with the AF point (s) on the head. The DoF is spot on from what I can see, nose to tail the bear is critically sharp, so what is the issue with not being parallel, I'm a little lost here, sorry.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

@ Steve : it is not an issue just that the Bear looking towards the camera might have made it more
    aesthetically pleasing .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve fully agree with your view , we have to take what we been offered by nature or limitations during the shooting .
    Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,
    Said this before and I say it again: you always make the best of any situation and I am often envious when viewing your images. Indeed POV was not ideal here but it works so well, given the HA and also bear's positioning within the frame - I personally find this image aesthetically pleasing

Light is absolutely stunning and you exposed beautifully, wonderful colours and detail on the subject is superb. Techs spot on and PP work is outstanding, love it as presented.

Forgive me for coming in so late, busy catching up with latest posts and delighted to see those images from your last trip. Hope to see more, thank you so much for sharing,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea