Thread: American Redstart

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American Redstart

Attached Images Attached Images

The bulk of warblers are starting to migrate through. Even though American Redstarts breed in this area, I suspect this is a migrant
    from farther north as it was in an area where I hadn't seen one all summer. Of the few warbler species that breed in my area, these
    are hands down the most difficult to image. Hyperactive with a penchant for staying in the tree tops(even when employing audio) make
    it really difficult to catch them on an isolated branch. Out of nowhere, this bird landed on a reasonably close bare branch. I have to
    admit I'm not a big fan of frontal images. The bird did rotate for a profile but the head ended up in deep shade. This was taken very
    early in the morning. Primary processing was done with Topaz DeNoise AI. I find that it does a very good job of sharpening the bird
    and de-noising the background on images like this where the bird is well isolated. More complex images with multiple objects in focus
    can lead to some funky artifacts. If it's an image I don't plan on printing, it saves a lot of time. Straight size reduction.

Nikon D500, 500mmF4VRII, TC-14EIII

f8, 1/1000s, iso1000

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a lovely little bird! You've already mentioned the head being in deep shade. I understand how difficult it must've been to get this bird against a relatively clean BG, but I find the light OOF branches quite distracting unfortunately. I would also warm this image up just a touch. I like the bird's pose, I think it's very unique and adds an element of fun compared to a standard portrait. Nice detail in the oranges, they can be hard to tame but you've done well. Hopefully you'll nail this bird against a super smooth BG and in even better light

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Shows the bird off nicely and does stand out OK against a complex background. There's a green cast on the shaded belly above the branch.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice perch and pose. Background is pretty good as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love these warblers.
    Although I like the bird, I am not crazy about that busy BG.
    I do like the curve in the perch and the vertical crop. Oranges look good and I like the quirky head position,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

This was very early in the morning and the overall hue was very warm. I might have gotten a little carried away with backing off on the warmth. Readjusted color balance adding back some warmth.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I prefer the repost Jack , very nice pose a slightly unusual pose - not seen too often. You tamed the highlights on the branch rather well.
    Colours look good (you may wish to consider applying a HS layer and reducing the blues).