Thread: Swamp Deer !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Swamp Deer !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone, thank you for all your comments and suggestions to my previous post, as always much appreciated.

Here is an image of Swamp Deers taken at Dudhwa national Park, a very skittish specie normally photographed from a distance.

The Barasingha or Swamp Deer, is an endangered species of deer, and can be seen in protected sanctuaries in India. They derive their name from the large antlers of the adult male Barasingha, which may grow to have more than 12 points, hence the translation of its name in Hindi, 12- antlered Deer. Marshes or swampland is a Barasingha's preferred territory. The Barasingha is found in forested areas in the Gangetic and Brahmaputra basins in India. The Barasingha is a vulnerable species. The destruction of their habitat due to deforestation, the draining of swamps and marshes for farming, poaching for its horns and diseases transmitted by domestic cattle, have all led to the decline of the Barasingha in India.

DPP 4.8, PSCC 2019, WB, curves, vibrance, selective colour/colour balance, darkened the fg a bit, cropped from top as well as from rhs and lhs, sharpening.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 200-400 f4@ 560mm, Bean Bag lying on the ground.

1/3200, f/5.6, iso 1000.

Looking forward for all your comments and suggestions, be it of any nature.

Haseeb.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is great. You have the deer looking your way, as well as all the birds - looks like a bunch of coots, some cormorants/darters and a lapwing-ish bird. Shows diversity, I hope the area is well protected. Only thing I don't like is the rock on the RHS.

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Haseeb, I like it because it's different and it's good you had all the deer looking your way. 1/3200 is a bit much for the scene, but it appears it hasn't hurt the capture. Now it might be the laptop, although I doubt it's that off, so working on the 'numbers' I feel, going warmer on the WB and more Magenta, reduces the Blue/Green cast? Getting some more tonal range also helps both FG & BKG to achieve that 'layering'.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great look at this bachelor group. Those are some fine looking bucks. Really like the setting overall. They look like coots in the foreground are they? Nice to have the deer in the open and the forest in the background. This image has some nice depth.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone.

@ Greg - I too am 50-50 on the rock but nothing could be done abt it.

@ Steve - I liked the colours in your RP and there definitely is more layering in FG. But i also liked the colours in OP as it represents the actual scene and also a bit to my liking as well.

@ John -- Yes they are coots.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb such a cool and different frame on many counts !!!
    The loads of species , the setting with the deer standing on the island and the nice backdrop !! I do like the colors .... in your OP , has some freshness in the air !!!
    The RP is not doing it for me ....
    Very well seen and executed , good that you went down on the belly for that shot .

TFS Andreas

9. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas , much appreciated.