Thread: It's a Polar Bear!!!!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default It's a Polar Bear!!!!

Attached Images Attached Images

OK, so just back after a gruelling 16 day trip, 14 in Svalbard where shooting 24/7 began to take it's toll and often surreal - photographing Walruses at 1.00AM, Sunsets at 2.30AM and polar bears at ANY time... Certainly the best trip I have ever had out of three in the Svalbard archipelago and who would believe it, I bumped into Loi in a bar, (ex BPN member) just by chance before we both sailed, albeit on different ships. All ships it transpired sailed north, but we decided due to the weather reports, pack ice, expertise, knowledge of the captain and some good hunches to sail South around the main island and then NE, getting to just above 81 degrees towards the end of the trip, this turned out to be a 'masterful' stroke with over 20 bear sightings at very close quarters.

Weather, well it was dam cold and one day the whole ship was shrouded in ice which gave a different opportunity in what to photograph whilst sailing through the pack ice!!! Certainly on this trip being exposed to Mirrorless cameras it has made me think, but only from a 'weight' perspective. I still feel there is a long way to go and in part, a different way of thinking when shooting, but as I said, I won't be jumping ship just yet...

A huge amount to edit and process, but not just Wildlife, but Landscapes and the occasion Avian subject, so the trip pushed me to shooting a whole raft of things which was great. And so, just to get the ball rolling here is an adult male who came to investigate us. He was resting up on the pack ice and so we slowly, very slowly edged our way towards him and then allowing the pack ice to stop us, where upon our scent and curiosity got the better of him.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) resting on the pack ice just below the bow of the ship
    Camera: Canon EOS 5DMKIV
    Lens: 100-400f/4MKII HH
    * Exposure: 1/2500s at f/8 ISO1000 Lee 100 CPL filter
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop from the top and RHS
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019
    * Here you have to read your Histogram otherwise your exposures will be way off
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 09-02-2019 at 02:14 PM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

About as perfect as can be. The experience must have been wonderful, a magnificent, healthy appearing bear. Liked your write up and description. Thank you for sharing, Steve.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Great to have you back and a lovely image to start with. As always you have super fine details and a very cute pose from the Bear to go with it. Lovely colours and framing works as presented.

I believe someone new to this place might find it difficult to expose this subject against the similar coloured ice and light reflecting from it. Well exposed images have great details and same goes for this image.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys.

The experience must have been wonderful
    Yes Joe, it was and perhaps one of the hardest trips you can ever do, primarily because nothing is certain, weather and pack ice can change, animals move and you are looking for a white subject in a white environment.

I believe someone new to this place might find it difficult to expose this subject against the similar coloured ice and light reflecting from it.
    Some folk may struggle Haseeb, but this is where you HAVE to trust your histogram and ETTR to just before it clips. Years ago you had to meter off the subject and then manually plus the EV by 2/3, 1, or more, but utilising the Histogram you should be pretty close. With Mirrorless every frame is exposed perfectly due to the EVF and seeing the Histogram in the view finder. This was EV+0.67 hard to imagine in what appears o be bright conditions you are adding more light.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the relaxed look on the bear. Killer detail all around as per your usual. Why the polarizer? Hope you caught up on some sleep.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Why the polarizer?
    To get some depth/tonal range in the water. More so on Landscapes, but on occasion with the big lens too.

Hope you caught up on some sleep.
    Yes thank you, it's amazing how far the body can go, running on vapour.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome back, can't wait to see what you got. Really like this -- great detail, DOF, tones and relaxed pose. I like the dark blue above giving some setting. One of the animals high on my bucket list for sure. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... great to hear that you had a great trip !!! I am a bit envious ... as my single trip to Svalbard was not that great .... but life goes on .

Love the eye contact , reminds me of my polar bear at work when i give him the rest of honey that is sticking at a spoon and he starts to lick it from the same .... those innocent looking eyes .

Technical perfection on all counts .... very lovely processed with all that fine detail !!! Is that you in his eye ?

A pleasure to view , TFS Andreas