Thread: maori wrasse

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default maori wrasse

Attached Images Attached Images

Humphead maori wrasse on the outer reef. As you go down the light gets blue, I don't think I had the strobes hot enough for the 'surface color', but you can see the tattoo patterns which give it it's name.
    Canon 50mm, 1/200, f14, ISO1000, twin strobes.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very neat looking fish. Never seen anything like it. Enjoyed viewing this one.

3. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg -- what a beauty ! I liked those patterns on its body. Colours look good to me . No expert on UW images but I feel it looks a bit soft .

Lets see what others have to say.

TFS !

5. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great to see another underwater shooter on here Greg - lets see some more! Maori Wrasse (or Bumphead wrasse as they known up here!) are very impressive and inquisitive creatures which often give us great photo opportunities.

I don't know what setup you have, but you've run into 2 problems here - one compositional, the other technical.

Composition wise, if at all possible you could do with getting to eye level or slightly below, thus avoiding looking down on the fish - this will give you a much stronger image generally speaking

Techs wise it looks like you focussed on the coral, but the main tech issue is the lens you've used isn't really suited to big fish shots. I fully understand the cost involved in U/W (just shelled out a huge to me amount earlier today for a new setup) but ultra wides and macro lenses are generally the best if you can house them. Shooting such a large fish on a 50mm has taken you out of a lot of the range of your strobes, meaning although you've done well with the white balance, getting closer with the strobes wold have given you a lot more punch in the shot.

Still, a great fish t see posted, do you have any more?

Mike

7. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for the comments, particularly Mike for the details. I am a beginner UW, and it is a slower learning curve than other wildlife given the planning, gear, cycle time, etc, so this was trying to rescue an image... But you are right on both counts Mike - even if I thought I did well enough to have the fish approaching although I was above. I have a wider lens to use, but have not got a dedicated UW lens yet, still trying to come to grips with other aspects of the gear. The upside is that a good wide angle can also do double duty for astro-photography! I do have one other problem, I am snorkeling rather than diving, so my buoyancy control is nonexistent. I'll keep trying, it is fun.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg ... UW is special and not an easy task coming from pure surface photography , i know that myself . I tried it myself in the past .... but gave up quickly .

Cool fish and cool sighting ... agree with Mr Underwater Mike about the technical things . But do not give up if you have easy access to the ocean . The subjects can be pretty cool under the surface ....

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas. I won't give up, but it might take a long while to catch up to Mike's standard. But it is nice floating around with the different creatures and trying.