Thread: Common Tern Landing #2

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Tern Landing #2

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's another frame of a Common Tern at Nickerson. This is actually two frames (0.2 sec.) after yesterday's post. On this one, following Arash's suggestion, I did enhance an almost invisible catchlight. Several small stems of grass that were crossing the bird were evicted.

D500, 500PF, ISO 1600, 1/2000s @ f/7.1 manual. HH.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am envious of this as I managed no decent tern shots during my recent visit. The pose is great and what few grasses intersect the bird do so subtly. The two blades right in front of the bird are a bit close for my taste but generally still work. The light spot on the bird's forehead is really distracting and draws attention away from the adjacent eye, so I would clone that out. Also, there is something funny going on with the primaries on the right/far wing. They are noisy and blurry. All-in-all in a nice result.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Solid pose and the having the eye of the prey visible is always a plus. Yes wish there was some more room between the tern and the grasses. I would take this though.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Nice detail on the tern, like the dune grass, would suggest lifting shadows on the eye and around eye as it is not noticeable. The catchlight looked out of place bc i now think it isnt a catchlight at all... a shiny fish scale perhaps?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful. I'd like to see the bird a bit farther back in the frame and a bit better view of the fish.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.